Related stories and components
Author: Considerate Hoteliers
"Shiva Foundation launches online toolkit for the hotel industry", 12 September 2018...
UK: Co's likely to squeeze suppliers to cope with rising costs after Brexit, survey finds; raises concerns about vulnerable workers
Author: Michael Savage, The Observer (via The Guardian)
"Workers pay the price as big British companies squeeze their suppliers", 18 August 2018...
- Related stories: Brexit: Potential impacts on labour rights
- Related in-depth areas: Brexit's potential impacts on business & human rights
Commentary: Sand dredging in Cambodian mangrove forests for export to Singapore causes loss of livelihood & forced migration
Author: Kalyanee Mam, Emergence Magazine
"Lost World", 16 July 2017 For over a decade, the government of Cambodia has granted several private companies concessions to mine these mangrove forests for sand. ...Cambodia destroys its only natural protection...lays waste to a vital and fragi...
- Related companies: Marina Bay Sands
Author: UNICEF y la Oficina del Representante Especial del Secretario General sobre la violencia contra los niños
“Invertir en la prevención de la violencia contra los niños es un buen negocio: ONU”, 8 de junio de 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: Niños
Author: Maureen Kaka, Nairobi News (Kenya)
"Woman mistaken for a prostitute at Intercontinetal hotel awarded 3 million shillings"...
Author: Xacata (México)
“Los trabajadores de Las Vegas se preparan para la huelga contra la robotización del empleo”, 5 de junio de 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights
Tanzania: Report says safari businesses complicit in intimidation, violent eviction & intimidation of indigenous Maasai; companies comments included
A new report by the Oakland Institute claims some safari businesses operating in Tanzania are complicity in human rights abuses against the Maasai indigenous community. These include intimidation, arrests, beatings and starvation. Thomson Safari denies...
Author: Kieran Guilbert, Global News (Canada)
"Airbnb vows to crack down on sex traffickers using its properties as brothels," 18 February 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and human rights - advances by business
- Related companies: Airbnb Uber
Author: Dominic Rushe, The Guardian (UK)
"NRA under mounting pressure as companies cut ties with gun lobby", 23 Feb 2018...
- Related stories: USA: More than one dozen companies cut ties with National Rifle Association after 17 people killed in Florida high school shooting
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms
- Related companies: Alamo Rent A Car (part of Vanguard Car Rental) Amazon.com Chubb Group Enterprise Rent-A-Car Hertz Vanguard Car Rental Wyndham