Senior Advisor, Campaigns & Advocacy
- Location: Boston, MA or Washington, DC
- Salary: N/A
- Contract Type: N/A
- Rolling application
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To strengthen Oxfam America’s capacity to engage key US-based private sector actors through advocacy and campaigning; to develop and drive Oxfam America’s private sector strategy for campaigns and policy work around food and agriculture, climate change, labor issues and other agency priorities; to raise Oxfam America’s profile as a thought and practice leader regarding nuanced private sector engagement on development and poverty issues.
Strengthen Oxfam America’s capacity to engage key US-based private sector actors through advocacy and campaigning:
Lead Oxfam America’s corporate advocacy in the food and agricultural sectors, specifically with food and beverage companies, traders and supermarkets.
- Provide strategic guidance on corporate advocacy and campaigning to Oxfam campaign teams, regional offices, and partners.
- Conduct desk research on supply chains and corporate structure.
- Develop policy and execute a strategy for corporate advocacy in the food and agricultural sectors, and ensure integration of gender in campaign asks.
- Serve as a spokesperson/representative including producing online materials for social media such as blogs to raise the profile of Oxfam America’s private sector work.
Drive Oxfam America’s private sector strategy for specific campaigns and initiatives:
- Lead on design and implementation of corporate advocacy and campaigning strategies around food and agriculture, including gender and other priorities.
- Provide campaigns and other agency initiatives with strategic guidance and research on the private sector, including Oxfam America’s Domestic Program.
- Engage Multi-Stakeholder Initiatives, industry associations and companies in the food sector to advance Oxfam America’s advocacy on food and agriculture.
- Manage relationships with key private sector actors and networks to advance relevant agency priorities, including private sector dialogues on policy issues such as land, gender, and labor.
- Monitor the development of private sector campaign ideas and flag potential conflicts in content and resources.
Raise Oxfam America’s profile as a thought and practice leader regarding nuanced private sector engagement on development and poverty issues:
- Represent Oxfam America’s (corporate and other) campaigning and its market systems approach at external meetings and events with industry, policy, and civil society leaders.
- Engage influential private sector actors to build support for Oxfam public policy positions.
- Provide strategic guidance on Oxfam America’s private sector strategy, ensuring gender is integrated.
Strengthens fundraising for private sector advocacy and campaign work:
- Write proposals for existing and developing advocacy and campaign work. Identify potential funding sources.
- Support outreach and pitches to potential funding sources.
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- The incumbent will stay abreast of professional trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities and demonstrate continuous learning in the field.
- S/he will work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based culture of work, will perform all duties appropriately for a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect, and will be familiar with and committed to Oxfam America mission and goals.
- S/he will have an understanding of gender equity and diversity within key areas of responsibility and a commitment to promoting gender equity and diversity in our workplace and programs.
- Periodic travel will be required up to a maximum of ten weeks per year.