Senior Program Officer at Nazdeek
We are seeking an adaptable and dynamic individual to join our team in Delhi. Nazdeek is a legal empowerment organization committed to bring access to justice closer to marginalized individuals and communities in India. Nazdeek believes that the law can be an effective tool in overcoming poverty and marginalization. Our programs seek to advance the rights to health, labor, food and housing through capacity building, community mobilization and access to judicial and non-judicial remedies. In Delhi, our work focuses on expanding access to health, water and sanitation as well as housing rights for women living in slum areas. In Assam, our efforts aim at advancing the labor and health rights of Adivasi tea garden workers.
We seek a Senior Program Officer to help lead our Legal Empowerment work. The Senior Program Officer will work in concert with the Directors to support overall strategy development, planning and management of Nazdeek’s program work areas. The position offers a unique opportunity to gain cutting-edge leadership and human rights experience in the growing field of legal empowerment.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Develop, deliver and oversee capacity building programs for community members and activists on a range of socioeconomic rights issues, primarily rights to health, labour, food and housing.
• Develop, deliver and oversee human rights education sessions to law students
• Supervise and conduct field fact-findings and desk-based research to document rights violations
• Draft fact-finding reports, administrative complaints, legal briefs on rights violations
• Develop legal strategies to address rights-based violations existing in project areas such as
• Conduct advocacy meetings and representations to government officials working at District and State level.
• Identifying probono lawyers to take up rights-based litigation
• Draft reports for funders and donors
• Assist in maintenance of records as required
• Draft external communications materials including press releases, blogs and briefings
• Support the communication strategy by creating content for website, newsletters and social media
Qualifications and Skills
• Educational requirement: Masters in Law, LL.B or J.D. is required. Candidates with background in Social or Political Science may also apply.
• At least 5 years work experience on issues of law, human rights and/or governance. Previous experience working in a NGO or a law firm is highly desirable.
• Strong knowledge of human rights law and use of legal system to address poverty, exclusion and oppression. Demonstrated commitment to social justice and past field work experience in slum or rural areas is highly desirable.
• Excellent written, verbal, analytical and communication skills
• Self-starter, with strong strategic thinking ability to lead key programmatic areas
• Experience supervising junior staff, interns and/or volunteers
• Excellent English language skills are required, fluency in Hindi or other major Indian language is strongly preferred.
• Availability to travel nationally and internationally (30% of worktime)
Please note that candidates must hold a valid work permit/visa for India.
Job title: Senior Program Officer
Location: New Delhi
Closing date: 13 March 2016