Headquarters in China
USA: Eleven Chinese firms added to economic blacklist over allegations of using forced labour of ethnic minorities
“U.S. adds 11 firms to economic blacklist over China's treatment of Uighurs”, 20 July 2020...
Author: Adrián Foncillas, Equal Times
The risks of teaming up with Big Brother to protect health, 18 June 2020...
Author: Estelle Massé, Access Now
"Recommendations on privacy and data protection in the fights against COVID-19", March 2020...[COVID-19] responses must promote public health, prevent discrimination, ensure access to reliable and timely information, defend unrestricted access to an...
- Related in-depth areas: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Government & business response COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Human rights defenders & civic freedoms COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Surveillance, censorship & privacy Digital freedom Privacy Technology and Human Rights Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Alipay Alphabet CoronApp Deutsche Telekom Facebook Orange Proximus Group Sensetime Verily (part of Alphabet) WeChat
“China’s facial-recognition giant says it can crack masked faces during the coronavirus”, 18 February 2020...
- Related stories: China: Business action and alleged inaction in response to spread of Wuhan novel coronavirus 2020
- Related in-depth areas: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Surveillance, censorship & privacy Technology and Human Rights
- Related companies: Apple LG Electronics (part of LG Corp.) Megvii Sensetime
USA: Federal study confirms racial bias of many facial-recognition systems, casts doubt on their expanding use
Author: Drew Harwell, Washington Post
Facial-recognition systems misidentified people of color more often than white people, a landmark federal study released... shows, casting new doubts on a rapidly expanding investigative technique widely used by law enforcement across the United States...
“Government Asks SenseTime to Lead Plans for National Facial-Recognition Standards”, 28 November 2019...
USA: Tech giants distribute products and apps from blacklisted Chinese companies, according to media report
Author: Rosalind Adams and Ryan Mac, Buzzfeed News
“Amazon, Apple, And Google Are Distributing Products From Companies Building China's Surveillance State”, 4 November 2019...
USA government blacklists more Chinese tech companies due to concerns on treatment of Muslim minorities
In October 2019, the US government widened its trade blacklist to include eight Chinese technology and artificial intelligence companies due to concerns on China’s treatment of Muslim minorities....
USA govt. widens trade blacklist to include eight Chinese artificial intelligence companies due to concerns on treatment of Muslim minorities
Author: David Shepardson & Josh Horwitz, Reuters
“U.S. expands blacklist to include China's top AI startups ahead of trade talks”, 8 Oct 2019...