Shwe Gas Project in Burma: Recent Developments

Author: EarthRights International, Published on: 8 March 2006

The Shwe Gas Project...will be Burma's largest gas development project ever in terms of gas reserves, potential revenue, and the number of people that could be adversely affected...[The] project is unfolding with no local participation and no Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), and it will undoubtedly involve serious human rights violations... The Shwe Gas Project is a project of the Myanmar Oil and Gas Enterprise (MOGE)...in partnership with an international consortium...Daewoo International is the largest stakeholder (60 per cent) while the remaining 40 percent is divided between the state-owned Korean Gas Corporation (10 per cent), India's state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) (20 per cent) and the Gas Authority of India Ltd. (GAIL) (10 per cent). [also refers to PetroChina, Suez Tractebel (part of Suez)]

Read the full post here

Related companies: Daewoo International (part of Posco) GAIL (Gas Authority of India Ltd.) KOGAS (Korea Gas Corporation) Myanmar Oil & Gas Enterprise (MOGE) ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation) PetroChina (part of China National Petroleum Corporation) Suez Tractebel (part of GDF Suez)