Specialist - Research & Projects, Intl. Labor Standards at Disney
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
Disney’s International Labor Standards (ILS) group seeks to foster safe, inclusive and respectful workplaces wherever Disney-branded products are made. As part of the Company’s Citizenship and supply chain management efforts, ILS manages policy related to labor issues in global supply chains, works with internal and external business partners to realize the Company’s ILS objectives, conducts on-site factory assessments, engages stakeholders, publishes information and data on our progress, funds human rights groups, continually researches best practices in the field, and undertakes a range of projects to promote better working conditions.
The Specialist, Research and Projects supports Disney’s ILS department in conducting research on emerging policy and practices in the field of international labor standards (ethical sourcing), providing project management support for a range of department projects, managing written communications through the company’s ILS website and ILS section of the Citizenship Performance Summary, tracking relevant media, managing the process of investigating and resolving claims of non-compliant working conditions, and other activities as assigned.
- Project Management: Work with internal colleagues to provide dedicated project management support for a range of initiatives to review policies, programs and processes. Update the list of Permitted Sourcing Countries on a bi-annual basis. Support business colleagues with the licensee onboarding process.
- Research and Analysis: Conduct research into emerging trends and issues in human rights, labor rights, and ethical sourcing. Analyze implications for Disney and write issue briefs as needed.
- Communications: Maintain ILS section of Citizenship website, updating content as needed. Supervise process and draft material for the ILS section of the Citizenship Performance Summary and related disclosures. Draft responses to SRI and similar organizations’ surveys, questionnaires and profiles. Develop and maintain internal communication tools, such as presentations to educate cast members, licensees, vendors and external stakeholders about the ILS program, in coordination with the Training function.
- Issues Management: Assist global ILS management team in tracking, managing and resolving areas of material interest to Disney, including claims of non-compliant working conditions raised by third parties.
- Supervision: Supervise one analyst, including recruitment, training and performance management.
- 5+ years experience in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), Sustainability, Social Compliance, or Ethical Sourcing in a multi-national company, CSR institution, NGO, government agency, multi-stakeholder initiative or socially responsible investor
- 3-5 years managing projects
- 2-3 years coordinating, writing or editing CSR/sustainability reports
- Strong understanding of CSR, human rights, labor standards, and ethical sourcing
- Experience with CSR reporting, SRI ratings/rankings and ESG research
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to articulate and translate complex issues into easy-to-understand and useable information
- Comprehensive research and analytical skills; ability to gather information quickly and to synthesize it into actionable steps
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft programs and, in particular, strong PowerPoint skills
- Ability to be highly flexible and work on multiple tasks, projects and programs simultaneously
- Ability to work fluidly across both geographic and functional boundaries
- 3 years of writing or editing a CSR/sustainability report
- Experience in an international work environment
- Second language (Chinese or Spanish preferred)
- Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G4 certification
- SA8000 or equivalent social compliance auditor training
- B.A. in Business, Political Science, International Affairs, Public Policy, Sociology or equivalent
- M.A., M.S. or M.B.A
At Corporate, you’ll team with the best in the business to build one of the most innovative global businesses in any industry. Uniquely positioned at the center of an exciting, multi-faceted Company, the forward-thinkers at Disney Corporate constantly pursue new ideas and technologies to help the Company’s many businesses drive value, all the while gaining something valuable from the experience themselves. Come see the most interesting Company from the most interesting point of view.
This position is a legal entity of The Walt Disney Company, an equal opportunity employer.
Job title: Specialist, Research & Projects
Location: Glendale, CA
Closing date: 6 May 2016