Equinor (formerly Statoil)
Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in Norway
Supporter of Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
Statoil became StatoilHydro in May 2007, following a merger with the oil and gas division of Norsk Hydro, then changed its name back to Statoil in November 2009. Norsk Hydro retained its metals and other businesses. The name Equinor was adopted in 2018.
Author: Lisa Demer, Anchorage Daily News (USA)
[A] federal appeals court on Wednesday ruled in favor of environmental and Alaska Native groups and concluded the federal government failed to properly evaluate the scale of oil production that could result from a 2008 lease sale, throwing those...
Author: Ilham Rawoot, Al Jazeera
[T]he World Bank [says that] 55 percent of Mozambique's population still lives below the poverty line [and]...communities [are] suffering more than benefiting from the influx of the Liquefied Natural Gas...industry...[F]ish are now scarce, since.....
Author: Revenue Watch Institute
Recent natural gas finds and ongoing mining activities in Tanzania have sparked extensive national debate on how the nation should benefit from its wealth...[M]any in Tanzania are reflecting on the country’s experience with large-scale mining...[where...
Business, Human Rights, and Uganda’s Oil - Part II: Protect and Remedy: Implementing State duties under the UN Framework on Business and Human Rights
Author: Gabriella Wass & Chris Musiime, IPIS & ActionAid Uganda
In accordance with the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, this second report assesses the duty of the Ugandan, British, French and Chinese States to prevent, investigate, punish and redress human rights abuse by businesses. Based on...
- Related stories: Report on implementing State duties under the UN Framework on Business & Human Rights for Uganda's oil industry
- Related in-depth areas: African region Chinese investment overseas Civil society recommendations to governments Extractives, including oil and mines General Judicial remedies Labour issues Land Rights & Displacements Latest Legal News Latest news on conflict & peace Latest news on UNGPs Latest news on UNWG Oil & gas Providing guidance to companies State-based
- Related companies: CNOOC (China National Offshore Oil Corporation) Kaweri (part of Neumann Gruppe) Neumann Gruppe Statoil Tullow Oil
Author: Michael Fichter (Global Labour University of Germany) & Dimitris Stevis (Colorado State University), Friedrich Ebert Stiftung
Global Union Federations have made significant progress in advancing Global Framework Agreements that create arenas for labor relations based on the Core Labor Standards of the...ILO. These Agreements...are a means of setting minimum standards and...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on freedom of association USA
- Related companies: Accor Adecco Arcelor Mittal BMW Bosch Daimler Danone EADS (European Aeronautic Defence and Space) FCC Ferrovial Freudenberg G4S GEA Group H&M Hochtief IKEA Impregilo ISS Italcementi Kelly Services Lafarge Leoni ManpowerGroup Mercedes-Benz (part of Daimler) Prym Randstad Rheinmetall Rhodia SCA Securitas Siemens Skanska SKF Sodexo Statoil VolkerWessels
Author: CCFD-Terre Solidaire (France) et la CERN et ADEV Congo (Rép. dém. du Congo)
Ce rapport s’intéresse aux impacts des activités de l’entreprise Perenco, société pétrolière opérant en RDC à travers deux filiales (Perenco Rep. et MIOC), comme illustration des limites actuelles de la responsabilité et la redevabilité des entreprises...
- Related stories: Rép. dém. du Congo : Un nouveau rapport de CCFD-Terre Solidaire souligne les impacts sociaux et environnementaux des activités de Perenco à Muanda
- Related in-depth areas: Dernières infos « conflits et paix »
- Related companies: BNP Paribas BP Chevron Crédit Agricole Eni Equinor (formerly Statoil) ExxonMobil HSBC ING Perenco Royal Bank of Scotland Shell Société Générale SOCO International Standard Chartered Sumitomo Group Sumitomo Mitsui Banking (part of Sumitomo Group) Total
Author: David Arnold, Voice of America
Significant oil reserves have been discovered in Uganda and Kenya in recent years. However before Kenyans and Ugandans can benefit from the discoveries infrastructure challenges, political issues and special interests must be overcome say experts.....
Author: Kofi Annan, Africa Progress Panel
The wise management of Africa’s incredible natural wealth is a high priority...Africa’s governments must manage these resource revenues wisely to lift millions of people out of poverty...Africa’s natural resource wealth rightly belongs to the...
Author: The Moscow Times
Greenpeace said...two of its activists scaled the Prirazlomnaya oil platform in Arctic waters in a fresh protest over the potential threat to the environment from operations slated to start by the end of the year. Production at the Gazprom-owned rig.....
Extractive industries and the challenges of implementing Voluntary Principles in Weak Governance Zones
In South Africa during August 2012, Lonmin...experienced violent clashes between security forces and employees resulting in an estimated 44 deaths (mostly employees) and over a month of disruption to operations…[I]n May 2013, citing the company’s poor...