Related stories and components
John Ruggie analyses power of multinational firms - aims to bridge gap between voluntary & binding approaches
Author: John Ruggie, Harvard University, Regulation & Governance (Australia)
"Multinationals as global institution: Power, authority and relative autonomy", 27 June 2017...
- Related companies: Alphabet Apple British American Tobacco Coca-Cola Equinor (formerly Statoil) ExxonMobil General Electric Google (part of Alphabet) Microsoft Novartis Occidental Petroleum Philip Morris International Reynolds American RJ Reynolds (part of Reynolds American) Shell Sinopec Starbucks Total Toyota Unilever Walt Disney
USA: Opioids deaths lead state officials to target drug firms, following model of lawsuits against tobacco industry
Author: German Lopez, Vox (USA)
"US officials are starting to treat opioid companies like Big Tobacco — and suing them", 7 Jun 2017...
- Related stories: USA: Rise in opioids deaths leads state officials to file claims against drug firms and distributors
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Allergan AmerisourceBergen Cardinal CVS Janssen Pharmaceutica (part of Johnson & Johnson) Johnson & Johnson Mallinckrodt (part of Tyco) McKesson Teva Pharmaceutical Tyco Walgreen Walmart
Author: Mathilde Dupré, Alternatives Economiques (France)
« Arbitrage d'investissement : une justice d'exception au service des multinationales », 8 juin 2017...
Australia: World Trade Organization says restrictive packaging law is a legitimate public health measure in dispute related to trade & tobacco companies
Author: Tom Miles, Martinne Geller & John Stonestreet, Reuters
"Australia wins landmark WTO tobacco packaging case, reports", 5 May 2017...
Norway's wealth fund excludes Bharat Heavy Electricals from investments based on it's assessment of risk to environment.
Author: Gwladys Fouche, Reuters
India's Bharat Heavy Electricals has been excluded from the investment portfolio of Norway's $935-billion sovereign wealth fund, the world's largest, the Norwegian central bank said on Friday....
« Le fonds souverain norvégien sévit contre des groupes pour des raisons éthiques », 5 mai 2017...
Author: Jacob Gershman, Wall Street Journal (USA)
"Older workers challenge PwC’s pursuit of young graduates", 17 April 2017 [Subscription required] PricewaterhouseCoopers...is now the focus of a class-action suit...The named plaintiffs in the PwC case are two men — one 53 years old and the other 47 —...
Proposed businesses & human rights treaty could be used to establish binding obligations on states to reform intl. investment agreements, says academic
Commentary: Intl. investment treaties must balance foreign investment protection with human rights interests
Author: Julia Cruz, Harvard Law School on Due Process of Law Foundation Blog
"Putting the pieces together: human rights and investment law", 28 Feb 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on ISDS
Author: Brian Ngugi, Daily Nation (Kenya)
"Lobby calls for stringent tobacco laws"...