Headquarters in China
Access Now urges action by 22 internet, mobile & telco cos., based on 2018 Corporate Accountability Index
Author: Access Now
In August 2018, Access Now wrote to the heads of 22 internet, mobile and telecommunications companies, outlining specific steps they can take to improve their disclosures about the policy and practices they use to safeguard digital rights. The lette...
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: América Movil Apple AT&T Axiata Baidu Bharti Airtel Etisalat Facebook Google (part of Alphabet) Kakao Corp Mail.ru Microsoft MTN Oath Inc (formerly Yahoo! & AOL (part of Verizon)) Ooredoo Orange Samsung Telefónica Tencent Twitter Vodafone Yandex
BSR launches human rights-based blueprint for responsible business practice with regard to artificial intelligence
BSR has published three papers describing a human rights-based blueprint for responsible business practice with regard to AI within and beyond the technology sector. These papers explore the importance of a rights-based approach for governing and...
China: New phone with retractable camera reveals automatic activation of camera feature in certain applications raising concerns about monitoring
Author: Oiwan Lam, Global Voices (Netherlands)
"Chinese mobile phone cameras are not-so-secretly recording users’ activities", 9 Jul 2018...
China: HRW reports gender discrimination rampant; attractiveness & availability of female workers used to induce male applicants
Author: Associated Press, Bangkok Post
"HRW: 'Men only' job ads show discrimination in China", 23 April 2018...
Author: Alex Hern, The Guardian
Britain needs to lead the way on artificial intelligence regulation, in order to prevent companies such as Cambridge Analytica setting precedents for dangerous and unethical use of the technology, the head of the House of Lords select committee on AI...
Author: Li Tao & Andrew Barclay, South China Morning Post (Hong Kong)
"Tencent denies storing WeChat records after Chinese billionaire reportedly questions monitoring", 2 January 2018...
Author: Zheping Huang, Quartz
"What Tencent left out when it denied spying on you over WeChat", 3 January 2018...
China: Tech companies showcase how new advances can identify and track citizens at World Internet Conference
Author: Paul Mozur, New York Times (USA)
"Inside China’s Big Tech Conference, New Ways to Track Citizens", 18 Dec 2017...
Techonomy Media urges tech giants to increase internet transparency for the benefit of civil society
Author: Ann Babe, Techonomy
“The Internet Under Attack Is Civil Society Under Attack”, 7 Nov 2017...
2017 Corporate Accountability Index on digital rights reveals cos. do not disclose enough information to users
Author: Ranking Digital Rights (USA)
"Ranking Digital Rights: 2017 Corporate Accountability Index", 20 Sep 2017...
- Related stories: Ranking Digital Rights: Internet & telecommunications companies ranked on freedom of expression & privacy
- Related in-depth areas: Digital freedom Latest news on human rights defenders
- Related companies: Alphabet América Movil Apple AT&T Axiata Baidu Bharti Airtel Etisalat Facebook Google (part of Alphabet) Kakao Corp Mail.ru Microsoft MTN Ooredoo Orange Samsung Telefónica Tencent Twitter Verizon Vodafone Yahoo! (part of Verizon)