Headquarters in United Kingdom
Swedish groups report below minimum wages, discrimination, other abuses on Burmese workers in Thai hotels
Author: Schyst Resande & Fair Action (Sweden)
Author: Sean Farrell, Guardian (UK)
Thomas Cook has prioritised cost cuts over customers and still needs to address safety issues nine years after two children died from carbon monoxide poisoning at a hotel booked through the travel company, according to a report. Bobby and Christi...
- Related companies: Thomas Cook
Author: Thomas Cook
Thomas Cook Group welcomes independent reviews of its respective businesses. The Schyst Resande/Fair Trade Center report into Travelife and human rights in tourism proposes recommendations for Ving, our tour operator business in Sweden. The report...
- Related stories: Turkey: Report raises labour rights concerns at ethically certified hotels contracted by subsidiaries of Thomas Cook, TUI & Kuoni
- This is a response from the following companies: Thomas Cook
Author: Society for Threatened People
Author: Belfast Telegraph (UK)
Business leaders have been urged by the Home Secretary to take immediate action to tackle the "evil" of modern-day slavery…Theresa May said companies must be confident they are not dealing with slave drivers…[and] flight attendants should be given...
Author: Brian Groom, Financial Times
Gay chief executives and senior business leaders are being urged to be open about their sexuality in one of the most ambitious initiatives to promote diversity in the boardroom. The launch on Wednesday of OUTstanding In Business, a network aimed at...
In Advance of London Olympics, U.S. and U.K. Investors Ask Corporations to Step Up Anti-Trafficking and Slavery Efforts
Author: Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility [USA]
...[A] coalition of U.S. and U.K. investors and NGOs have united to call on corporations to strengthen their focus against human trafficking and modern slavery in advance of the 2012 Summer Olympic Games...The initiative focuses on the London tourism...
- Related stories: Investors call on Olympic sponsors, tourism sector to step up anti-trafficking, slavery efforts in advance of London Olympics
- Related companies: Accor adidas Arcelor Mittal Best Western BMW British Airways Carlson Choice Hotels Coca-Cola Hilton Hyatt InterContinental Hotels John Lewis (part of John Lewis Partnership) John Lewis Partnership Kraft Foods McDonald's Next Procter & Gamble Rio Tinto Sainsbury Samsung Starwood Hotels Thomas Cook Whitbread
Author: Alyson Warhurst, Cressie Strachan, Zahed Yousuf & Siobhan Tuohy-Smith, Maplecroft [UK]
[A]pproximately 2.4m men, women and children are internationally and domestically trafficked for the purposes of: commercial sexual exploitation; forced labour; domestic servitude and the removal of organs at any given point in time…Businesses should...
- Related stories: Maplecroft releases report on the risks posed to business by the human trafficking industry
- Related in-depth areas: Tools & Guidance
- Related companies: Accor Air France KLM British Airways Carlson Citibank (part of Citigroup) Citigroup Delta Air Lines Global Horizons Kuoni Monsanto Monsoon Safaricom Thomas Cook TUI Travel Vodafone