Headquarters in United Kingdom
Swedish groups report below minimum wages, discrimination, other abuses on Burmese workers in Thai hotels
Author: Schyst Resande & Fair Action (Sweden)
…This report examines the working conditions of Burmese migrants at hotels contracted by Sweden´s three major tour operators Apollo (REWE Group), Fritidsresor (TUI Group) and Ving (Thomas Cook Group) in Khao Lak and Phuket, as well as hotel suppliers....
Author: Sean Farrell, Guardian (UK)
- Related companies: Thomas Cook
Author: Thomas Cook
Thomas Cook Group welcomes independent reviews of its respective businesses. The Schyst Resande/Fair Trade Center report into Travelife and human rights in tourism proposes recommendations for Ving, our tour operator business in Sweden. The report...
- Related stories: Turkey: Report raises labour rights concerns at ethically certified hotels contracted by subsidiaries of Thomas Cook, TUI & Kuoni
- This is a response from the following companies: Thomas Cook
Turkey: Report raises labour rights concerns at ethically certified hotels contracted by subsidiaries of Thomas Cook, TUI & Kuoni
We invited Thomas Cook, Kuoni and TUI to respond to the concerns raised in the report. Their responses can be accessed below. The response to the report by Travelife is also provided.
Author: Society for Threatened People
Research focuses on the three regions of Kuchchaveli, Passikudah and Kalpitiya. In all three regions the government’s minimal de- velopment standards have scarcely been observed. Environmental and social impact assessments take place only sporadical...
Author: Belfast Telegraph (UK)
Business leaders have been urged by the Home Secretary to take immediate action to tackle the "evil" of modern-day slavery…Theresa May said companies must be confident they are not dealing with slave drivers…[and] flight attendants should be given more...
Author: Brian Groom, Financial Times
Gay chief executives and senior business leaders are being urged to be open about their sexuality in one of the most ambitious initiatives to promote diversity in the boardroom. The launch on Wednesday of OUTstanding In Business, a network aimed at...
In Advance of London Olympics, U.S. and U.K. Investors Ask Corporations to Step Up Anti-Trafficking and Slavery Efforts
Author: Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility [USA]
...[A] coalition of U.S. and U.K. investors and NGOs have united to call on corporations to strengthen their focus against human trafficking and modern slavery in advance of the 2012 Summer Olympic Games...The initiative focuses on the London tourism...
- Related stories: Investors call on Olympic sponsors, tourism sector to step up anti-trafficking, slavery efforts in advance of London Olympics
- Related companies: Accor adidas Arcelor Mittal Best Western BMW British Airways Carlson Choice Hotels Coca-Cola Hilton Hyatt InterContinental Hotels John Lewis (part of John Lewis Partnership) John Lewis Partnership Kraft Foods (now Kraft Heinz) McDonald's Next Procter & Gamble Rio Tinto Sainsbury's Samsung Starwood Hotels Thomas Cook Whitbread
Author: Alyson Warhurst, Cressie Strachan, Zahed Yousuf & Siobhan Tuohy-Smith, Maplecroft [UK]
[A]pproximately 2.4m men, women and children are internationally and domestically trafficked for the purposes of: commercial sexual exploitation; forced labour; domestic servitude and the removal of organs at any given point in time…Businesses should...
- Related stories: Maplecroft releases report on the risks posed to business by the human trafficking industry
- Related in-depth areas: Business tools and guidance
- Related companies: Accor Air France KLM British Airways Carlson Citibank (part of Citigroup) Citigroup Delta Air Lines Global Horizons Kuoni Monsanto (part of Bayer) Monsoon Accessorize Safaricom Thomas Cook TUI Travel Vodafone