Author: Alice Palmer, Foundation for International Law and Development (FIELD)
This paper...serves as a basic primer on some of the legal concepts and procedures relevant to communities seeking redress from multinationals. It looks at what makes multinationals different from other businesses and examines the obstacles to redress...
- Related stories: BHP lawsuit (re Papua New Guinea) Cambior lawsuit (re Guyana) Chevron lawsuit (re Nigeria) Rio Tinto lawsuit (re Papua New Guinea) Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) Texaco/Chevron lawsuits (re Ecuador) Union Carbide/Dow lawsuit (re Bhopal) Unocal lawsuit (re Myanmar) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Latest News on Pacific Business & Human Rights
- Related companies: BHP Billiton Cambior Cape PLC Chevron Freeport-McMoRan Rio Tinto Shell Thor Chemicals Unocal (part of Chevron)
[PDF] Corporate accountability to the poor? Assessing the effectiveness of community-based strategies
Author: Niamh Garvey & Peter Newell, Institute of Development Studies, University of Sussex
While corporations secure access to decision-making and privilege through their contributions to state resources through taxes, and to economic development more generally by providing employment, the communities in which many TNCs invest, by contrast...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest News on Pacific Business & Human Rights
- Related companies: Aventis (now part of Sanofi) BHP Billiton Cambior Cape PLC Chevron Delta and Pine Land Dow Chemical ExxonMobil Freeport-McMoRan Gap Golden Star Resources Haifa Chemicals (part of Trans-Resources) Inco (part of Companhia Vale do Rio Doce) Novartis Occidental Petroleum Placer Dome (part of Barrick Gold) Rio Algom (part of BHP Billiton) Rio Tinto Shell Spolana Thor Chemicals Tiomin Resources Trans-Resources Unilever Union Carbide (part of Dow) WMC Resources
Author: Monique Mas, Radio France Internationale
...le tsunami a violemment bousculé des dépôts sauvages de produits toxiques et même radioactifs déversés sur les plages somaliennes par des industriels du Nord. Mal conditionnés, les containers fuient, depuis le passage du raz-de-marée. Le PNUE...
- Related stories: Somalia: Toxic & radioactive waste containers dumped by multinationals were broken open by tsunami - linked to illness among locals
- Related companies: Thor Chemicals
Author: Désirée Abrahams
This paper has aimed to give a contemporary history of the regulation of transnational corporations...[refers to Ford, General Motors, IBM, Pepsi Cola (now PepsiCo), United Fruit Company (now Chiquita), International Telephone and Telegraph Company ...
- Related stories: BHP lawsuit (re Papua New Guinea) Cambior lawsuit (re Guyana) Cape/Gencor lawsuits (re So. Africa) Chevron lawsuit (re Nigeria) Freeport-McMoRan lawsuits (re West Papua) Rio Tinto lawsuit (re Papua New Guinea) Unocal lawsuit (re Myanmar) Show moreShow less
- Related companies: Altria Ben & Jerry's (part of Unilever) BHP Billiton Body Shop (part of Natura) Cambior Cape PLC Chevron Chiquita Danone Ford Freeport-McMoRan General Motors IBM ITT Industries Nestlé Novartis PepsiCo Rio Tinto Shell Thor Chemicals Unilever Unocal (part of Chevron)
[DOC] Open Letter to the Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General on Business and Human Rights: The genesis and development of MNC litigation in South Africa and a possible model for the future
Author: Richard Meeran, Partner, Leigh Day & Co
The ability to hold multi-national corporations (MNCs) to account legally in the home states of their head office parent corporations, for wrongdoing arising from their overseas developing country operations, is important...In light of the focus of the...
- Related stories: Cape/Gencor lawsuits (re So. Africa) Letter to John Ruggie on legal remedies for corporate abuses in So. Africa (Richard Meeran, Leigh Day & Co.) Submissions to UN Special Representative John Ruggie - and responses Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: 2009 Civil liability Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Anglo American Cape PLC Gencor (mining) Thor Chemicals
Author: Leigh, Day & Co Solicitors
This paper addresses the...1. Application of the Human Rights Act to businesses to which public functions have been contracted out by public authorities. 2. Effectiveness of judicial mechanisms for holding UK business to account for human rights...
[PDF] Special event: Martyn Day & Paul Hoffman speaking on “Human rights lawsuits against companies – our experiences with victims, their families and businesspeople” (London, 3 Dec 2009)
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
Business & Human Rights Resource Centre is pleased to invite you to an event featuring leading human rights lawyers: Martyn Day (UK) & Paul Hoffman (US). Both have brought landmark lawsuits against companies. They will be speaking on the same...
- Related stories: Apartheid reparations lawsuits (re So. Africa) BP lawsuit (re Colombia) Cape/Gencor lawsuits (re So. Africa) Chevron lawsuit (re Nigeria) Occidental lawsuit (re Colombia) Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) Talisman lawsuit (re Sudan) Trafigura lawsuits (re Côte d’Ivoire) Unocal lawsuit (re Myanmar) Walmart lawsuit (re gender discrimination in USA) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Corporate Legal Accountability Project - Press Releases Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Anglo American BP Bridgestone-Firestone (part of Bridgestone) Cape PLC Chevron Gallaher Gencor (mining) Imperial Tobacco Occidental Petroleum Shell Talisman (part of Repsol) Thor Chemicals Trafigura Beheer Unocal (part of Chevron) Walmart
Author: CORE Coalition, Leigh Day & Co, The TUC, Amnesty International, Rights & Accountability in Development (RAID), One World Action, Global Witness and The Cornerhouse
...[I]n March 2007, the European Parliament passed a resolution on Corporate Social Responsibility...This submission...is prompted in particular by the submission of the Ministry of Justice of the UK...[whose] proposal is, in effect, an attempt to turn...
- Related stories: BP lawsuit (re Colombia) Cape/Gencor lawsuits (re So. Africa) Law firm, NGOs, union say UK Govt proposal to European Commission re ruling by EU court would prevent overseas victims of corporate abuse obtaining access to justice in EU Trafigura lawsuits (re Côte d’Ivoire) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: BP Cape PLC Monterrico Metals (part of Zijin) Rio Tinto Thor Chemicals Trafigura Beheer Zijin
[PDF] Tort litigation against multinationals (“MNCs”) for violation of human rights: an overview of the position outside the US
Author: Richard Meeran, Leigh Day & Co
Over the past decade, the US Alien Tort Statute (“ATS”)…has generally been viewed as the mechanism with the most promising potential for holding MNCs to account for human rights violations in developing countries. In recent years, US public interest...
- Related stories: Anvil Mining lawsuit (re Dem. Rep. of Congo) BHP lawsuit (re Papua New Guinea) BP lawsuit (re Colombia) Cambior lawsuit (re Guyana) Cape/Gencor lawsuits (re So. Africa) Monterrico Metals lawsuit (re Peru) Overview of non-US tort litigation against multinational companies for human rights abuses, by Richard Meeran of Leigh Day & Co Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) Shell lawsuit (re oil pollution in Nigeria) Texaco/Chevron lawsuits (re Ecuador) Total lawsuit in Belgium (re Myanmar) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News Latest News on Pacific Business & Human Rights
- Related companies: Anglo American Anvil Mining (part of China Minmetals) BHP Billiton BP Cambior Cape PLC Chevron Gencor (mining) Merck Minera Majaz (part of Monterrico Metals) Monterrico Metals (part of Zijin) Rio Blanco Copper (part of Xiamen Zijin Tongguan Investment Development Corporation, part of Zijin Mining Group, Tongling Non-Ferrous Metals Group Holding Co. Ltd. y Xiamen C&D Coperation Ltd.) Rio Tinto Securitas AB Group Shell Thor Chemicals Unocal (part of Chevron) Zijin