Headquarters in Japan
Negative effects of lithium mining on indigenous communities in Chile & Argentina exposed by Washington Post investigation; includes company statements
Author: Todd C. Frankel & Peter Whoriskey, Washington Post
“Tossed aside in the ‘white gold’ rush: Indigenous people are left poor as tech world takes lithium from under their feet”, 19 December 2016...
- Related stories: Tracking human rights violations & environmental impacts in lithium batteries supply chains in China, DRC & So. America
- Related companies: Amazon.com Apple FMC General Motors LG Chem LG Electronics (part of LG Corp.) Panasonic Samsung Sociedad Química y Minera de Chile (SQM) Tesla Motors Toyota
Tracking human rights violations & environmental impacts in lithium batteries supply chains in China, DRC & So. America
This series of stories in the Washington Post found that the manufacture of lithium-ion batteries - the power source for smartphones, laptops and electric cars - is linked to human rights abuses and environmental pollution in cobalt mines in Congo,...
USA: Corporate Equality Index scores record number of companies full marks for having inclusive policies for LGBT workers
Company disclosure of water management strategies exemplifies importance of water security for climate action
Author: Carbon Disclosure Project
"Thirsty business: Why water is vital to climate action, 2016 Annual Report of Corporate Water Disclosure", Nov 2016...
- Related in-depth areas: Mitigation
- Related companies: Acciona Anglo Platinum (part of Anglo American) BASF Bayer Centrica Coca-Cola Colgate-Palmolive Diageo Engie (formerly GDF Suez) Fiat Chrysler Ford General Motors GlaxoSmithKline Gold Fields Harmony Gold HP (Hewlett-Packard) Iberdrola Inditex Kao Kumba Iron Ore L'Oreal Lockheed Martin Mitsubishi Electric (part of Mitsubishi Group) Norges Bank Investment Management (NBIM) OMV Sony Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) Toyota Unilever
Author: Peter Whoriskey, Washington Post
….The companies making [lithium-ion batteries] promote the bright futuristic possibilities of the “clean” technology. But virtually all such batteries use graphite, and its cheap production in China, often under lax environmental controls, produces old...
Automobile firms' quest for low-cost parts led to using deadly Takata air bags over safer components - New York Times report
Author: Hiroko Tabuchi, New York Times (USA)
"A Cheaper Airbag, and Takata’s Road to a Deadly Crisis", 26 Aug. 2016...
Blog: Business & human rights courses will influence firms to fill governance gaps & not disregard societal impacts
Author: Caroline Kaeb and David Scheffer, Principles for Responsible Management Education, in Opinio Juris
"The Corporate Joust with Morality," 6 Jun 2016...
- Related companies: Alpha Natural Resources Angie's List Anthem Apple Bank of America Coca-Cola Cummins eBay Eli Lilly ExxonMobil Facebook General Motors Massey Energy (part of Alpha Natural Resources) MasterCard McDonald's MGM Resorts Nissan PayPal (part of eBay) Roche Salesforce.com Sony Toyota Tyson Volkswagen Walmart
Author: CDP, UN Global Compact, World Resources Institute, and WWF
"Over 150 Companies Commit to Set Ambitious Science-Based Emissions Reduction Targets," 4 May 2016...
Author: Valeria Durán y Raúl Olmos, Mexicanos contra la Corrupción y la Impunidad, Animal Político (México)
Ex funcionarios…y empresarios compraron terrenos que vendieron a sobreprecio al gobierno del panista Miguel Márquez. Los campesinos que denuncian haber sido engañados y forzados a vender, apodaron a esos intermediarios como Los Güeros…Estos “campesinos...