Killings, threats & other abuses
"Speech of Debbie Stothard at the UN Forum on Business and Human Rights", Fédération internationale des droits de l'homme, 5 Dec 2012
"Transforming pain into hope: Human Rights Defenders in the Americas", Amnesty Intl., Dec 2012
“Barrick implements framework of remediation initiatives”, Barrick Gold, 23 Oct 2012
“Barrick Gold Corporation and the Porgera Joint Venture continue to take action in response to violence against women at the Porgera mine in Papua New Guinea”.
"New Guardian film showcases ongoing abuse of civilians in eastern Congo's mines", Global Witness in Guardian (UK), 16 Sep 2011
Calling for US conflict minerals regulations to mirror UN Guiding Principles.
For further tools & guidance, see the Resource Centre’s Tools & Guidance Portal.
Related stories and components
“Unheard Voices” Speak Out: Indigenous Ethiopians Demand a Stop to Human Rights Abuses Stemming from Agricultural Investment Policies
Author: The Oakland Institute [USA]
Obang Metho of the Solidarity Movement for a New Ethiopia and Nyikaw Ochalla of the Anywaa Survival Organization testified to the human rights abuses against Anuak community members in the Gambella region of Ethiopia...Since 2010, the Ethiopian...
- Related stories: Ethiopia: Indigenous communities displaced & livelihood destroyed to pave way for commercial agriculture, says report
- Related in-depth areas: Agriculture Ethiopia: "Unheard Voices" report re large-scale land acquisitions - 2013 Indigenous peoples Killings, threats & other abuses Latest news on conflict & peace
Author: Debbie Stothard, FIDH Deputy Secretary-General & Coordinator for Altsean-Burma
Before I proceed any further, I would like to acknowledge the following people...These men, women and children were killed or jailed because they were trying to stop human rights abuses linked to business activities. In most of the murder cases which...
Author: Amnesty International
…[This] report highlights both the enormous progress that [defenders] have helped bring about, and the dangers that they continue to face…[since they] have been intimidated, harassed, attacked and killed…[It] focuses primarily on such attacks between...
Author: Barrick Gold
Barrick Gold Corporation and the Porgera Joint Venture continue to take action in response to violence against women at the Porgera mine in Papua New Guinea. The latest of these actions involves the implementation of the Olgeta Meri Igat Raits (All...
- Related stories: Papua New Guinea: Barrick announces actions in response to violence against women at Porgera mine, based on UN Guiding Principles
- Related in-depth areas: Company-based grievance mechanisms Killings, threats & other abuses Mining Women
- Related companies: Barrick Gold Porgera (joint venture Barrick Gold & Mineral Resources Enga)
Author: Guardian [UK], Global Witness
The film tells how civilians in the Kivu region of eastern DRC, which is rich in the minerals used to produce electronic goods such as laptops and mobile phones, live under the constant threat of extreme violence and forced labour at the hands of armed...
Author: Conflict Risk Network
A group of institutional investors...sent a letter this week to Italian oil firm Saras S.p.A., urging it to ensure its products do not facilitate violence committed by Muammar Qaddafi’s regime in Libya..."They have a responsibility to respect human...
- Related in-depth areas: Americas Americas Civil society recommendations to governments Complicity Conflict & peace Killings, threats & other abuses Latest news on conflict & peace Latest news on UNGPs Libya Middle East & North Africa Mining Oil & gas Uses of UN Guiding Principles: Investors
- Related companies: Saras