European Investment Bank
Related stories and components
Author: Larry Lohmann, Abya Yala Ediciones
Durante la última década, el comercio de emisiones se ha revelado como la pieza clave de las iniciativas mundiales para luchar contra el cambio climático…[Pero] toda una serie de grandes empresas, organismos financieros, centros académicos, gobiernos,...
- Related companies: Aditya Birla Group Anglo American Arcelor Mittal Bank of America Barclays BNP Paribas Campbell Soup Chevron Deutsche Bank E.ON Energie Baden-Wuerttemberg (EnBW) Enron Fortis General Electric Goldman Sachs Intel Jindal Lafarge (part of LafargeHolcim) Lehman Brothers Merrill Lynch (part of Bank of America) Mondi (part of Anglo American) Rhodia RWE Sasol Shell Sumitomo Group Tata Group Vattenfall
Author: Alice Odiot & Audrey Gallet, Erklärung von Bern/Berne Declaration [Switzerland]
[Film on how copper smelting has allegedly caused illness and death due to environmental degradation. It further alleges that the mining activities have not improved the lives of Zambians and that Glencore's payments to the government are excessively...
- Related stories: Zambia: Glencore's Mopani copper mine causes pollution & illness, does not contribute to local development, says film
- Related in-depth areas: Short videos & news items
- Related companies: Glencore
Mary Robinson and John Ruggie call on EU Foreign Ministers to make human rights central to trade and investment in Myanmar
Author: Institute for Human Rights and Business
In a letter sent today to all EU Foreign Ministers, Mary Robinson…and John Ruggie…urge the EU to make clear that respect for international human rights standards is integral to future trade with and investment in Myanmar...
Author: International Rivers
Ikal Angelei, the founder of Friends of Lake Turkana in Kenya, receives the prestigious Goldman Environmental Prize in San Francisco today. The award will honor an activist who is defending the interests of 500,000 poor indigenous people against a...
Author: Frédéric Bazin, Institut de Recherches et d’Applications des Méthodes de développement (IRAM), Jamie Skinner, Institut International pour l’Environnement et le Développement (IIED), Jérôme Koundouno, Union Internationale pour la Conservation de la Nature (UICN)
Ce document présente les expériences de six barrages construits [dans trois pays de l'Afrique de l’Ouest]...: Mali...Sénégal...Burkina Faso...[en révélant que la] réinstallation des populations affectées et la reconstruction de leurs moyens de...
Author: Jaya Ramachandran, International News Magazine [Australia]
A new study is asking the European Parliament, European Union member states and European civil society organizations to push for regulatory measures targeted at Europe-based companies engaged in oil exploration in sub-Saharan Africa...The study follows...
- Related stories: European Union should introduce new measures to combat oil spills by European companies in Sub-Saharan Africa, Chatham House report recommends
- Related companies: BP Chevron
Author: Just Economics
Focusing on four major sets of investment principles – the UN Principles for Responsible Investment...the Equator Principles, the Environmental and Social Principles of the European Investment Bank...and the OECD Declaration on International Investment...
Author: UN Special Representative on business & human rights John Ruggie
The Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General for business and human rights has identified instances of applications of the U.N. “Protect, Respect and Remedy” Framework, in whole or in part, as a resource for those looking for...
- Related in-depth areas: Draft Guiding Principles UN Secretary-General's Special Representative on business & human rights
- Related companies: Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Barclays Barrick Gold BHP Billiton Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore) Chevron Citigroup Eni ExxonMobil General Electric Goldcorp (now Newmont Goldcorp) Nestlé PVH (Phillips-Van Heusen) Shell TNT (part of TPG) TPG Xstrata (part of Glencore)
Author: BBC News
The European Investment Bank (EIB) has frozen all new loans to commodities trading giant Glencore and its subsidiaries, citing "serious concerns" over the group's corporate governance. In 2005 the EIB provided a $50m…loan to Mopani Copper Mines, a...
- Related companies: Glencore