Intl. Criminal Court
Related stories and components
[PDF] Corporate Liability of Energy/Natural Resources Companies at National Law for Breach of International Human Rights Norms
Author: Oliver Salas
While there are established rules to invoke the liability of States for their breach of international law obligations, there is no equivalent to hold corporations liable for violating human rights norms...[T]he lack of obvious international remedies...
- Related stories: Rio Tinto lawsuit (re Papua New Guinea) Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) Shell lawsuit (re oil pollution in Nigeria) Talisman lawsuit (re Sudan) Trafigura lawsuits (re Côte d’Ivoire) Union Carbide/Dow lawsuit (re Bhopal) Unocal lawsuit (re Myanmar) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Judicial remedies Latest Legal News UN Secretary-General's Special Representative on business & human rights
- Related companies: BP Chevron Dow Chemical Occidental Petroleum Rio Tinto Shell Talisman Trafigura Beheer Union Carbide (part of Dow) Unocal (part of Chevron)
Author: Rafael Marques de Morais, allAfrica.com
Angolan anti-corruption campaigner Rafael Marques de Morais has filed a criminal complaint with the attorney-general of Angola against two diamond mining companies and their directors, who include top military officers. Marques...alleges that the...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News Latest news on conflict & peace
- Related companies: Alfa 5 Endiama (Empresa Nacional de Diamantes de Angola) ITM Mining Lev Leviev Group Lumanhe Luminas (Sociedade Mineira de Luminas) (joint venture Lev Leviev, Endiama & Twins Ltd) Odebrecht SDM (Sociedade de Desenvolvimento Mineiro de Angola) (joint venture Odebrecht & Endiama) Teleservice
[PDF] Holding Businesses Accountable for Human Rights Violations: Recent Developments and Next Steps
Author: Connie de la Vega, Amol Mehra, Alexandra Wong, for Friedrich Ebert Stiftung
...[The] Guiding Principles [on Business and Human Rights were drafted] to assist governments and corporations in the implementation of the [UN "Protect, Respect and Remedy"] framework. While these principles contain positive elements, they fall short...
- Related stories: Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa)
- Related in-depth areas: UN action following end of mandate UN Secretary-General's Special Representative on business & human rights
- Related companies: Anhui Foreign Economic Construction Anjin (joint venture Anhui Foreign Economic Construction, Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation & Govt. of Zimbabwe) Mbada Diamonds (joint venture New Reclamation Group & Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation) New Reclamation Shell
[PDF] The Montreux Document on Private Military and Security Companies: Proceedings of the Regional Workshop for Latin America
Author: Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF)
On the 12th and 13th of May 2011 a workshop was held in Santiago, Chile, to discuss the “Montreux Document on Pertinent International Legal Obligations and Good Practices for States related to Operations of Private Military and Security Companies...
- Related stories: Report from regional workshop for Latin America on Montreux document on private military & security companies (12-13 May 2011)
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on conflict & peace Montreux Document - a process aimed at governments
- Related companies: BP DynCorp Forza (part of Securitas) Securitas
Author: Robert Kropp, Social Funds
...[I]nvestor members of CRN [Conflict Risk Network] sent letters to telecommunications and oil and gas companies operating in Sudan, "calling on them…to ensure they do not infringe on human rights" as the country prepares for the January referendum.....
- Related stories: Sudan: Investors call on companies to ensure they are not complicit in human rights abuses in the run up to January referendum
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on conflict & peace
- Related companies: Boston Common Asset Mgmt. China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) MTN PetroChina Zain
Author: J.P Bohoslavsky & V. Opgenhaffen, in Harvard Human Rights Journal
This paper examines the main legal aspects of corporate civil responsibility for facilitating serious violations of human rights, focusing specifically on bank activity. It analyzes, in detail, the Argentinean case and the financial support received...
Author: Open Society Justice Initiative
Pillage means theft during war. Although the prohibition against pillage dates to the Roman Empire, pillaging is a modern war crime that can be enforced before international and domestic criminal courts…Reviving corporate liability for pillaging...
Author: [opinion] John B. Bellinger III, former US State Dept. legal advisor, New York Times
For more than a decade, dozens of multinational corporations have been sued in federal courts in the United States for alleged human rights violations under the...Alien Tort Statute. Now these suits may be over. In August...[the New York-based Second...
- Related stories: Chevron lawsuit (re Nigeria) Coca-Cola lawsuit (re Colombia) ExxonMobil lawsuit (re Aceh) Pfizer lawsuit (re Nigeria) Rio Tinto lawsuit (re Papua New Guinea) Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) Talisman lawsuit (re Sudan) Unocal lawsuit (re Myanmar) Yahoo! lawsuit (re China) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Caterpillar Chevron Coca-Cola ExxonMobil Pfizer Rio Tinto Shell Talisman Yahoo!
[PDF] Call for abstracts and papers: Human rights challenges for multinational corporations working and investing in conflict zones
Author: Human Rights & International Legal Discourse
The business and human rights agenda has continuously been expanding over the last few...
[PDF] Overcoming Obstacles to Justice: Improving Access to Judicial Remedies for Business Involvement in Grave Human Rights Abuses
Author: Mark B. Taylor, Robert C. Thompson, Anita Ramasastry
There is ample evidence that business activities can have a detrimental impact on human rights…Yet, there are few effective remedies available. In many states, laws to protect human rights from harmful business activities either do not exist or are...