Inter-American Commission & Court
Related stories and components
Author: International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH)
Over the ten-year history of the World Trade Organization (WTO), distrust and misinformation have controlled the relationship between human rights advocates and trade experts. Yet it is now evident to both ’sides’ that trade-facilitated globalisation...
- Related stories: Understanding global trade & human rights
Author: Michael Voss, BBC
...Ecuador...is believed to be sitting on huge untapped reserves of oil and gas...Much of it, though, lies beneath remote areas of the Amazon rainforest...Now the indigenous people of the region are starting to organise themselves politically in a bid...
Human Rights of Florida's Farm Workers are under Serious Threat - Letter to Santiago A. Cantón, executive secretary, Inter-American Commission on Human Rights
Author: Amnesty International, Center for Constitutional Rights, Global Rights, Human Rights First, Human Rights Watch, National Economic and Social Rights Initiative, Oxfam America, RFK Memorial Center on Human Rights, U.S. Human Rights Network
The undersigned organizations submit this letter amici regarding the question of corporate and government responsibility for the poor human rights conditions of agricultural workers in Florida. The human rights of Florida’s farm workers are under...
Author: Amnesty International
The human rights situation of Indigenous peoples and environmentalists in Ecuador continues to be a serious concern for Amnesty International. For over four decades, Indigenous communities have witnessed multinational oil companies cut through the...
- Related stories: Ecuador: Amnesty Intl. raises concerns over impact of oil extraction on indigenous people & environmentalists Texaco/Chevron lawsuits (re Ecuador)
- Related companies: AGIP (part of Eni) Arco (part of BP) BP Burlington Resources (part of ConocoPhillips) Chevron Compañía General de Combustibles (part of Southern Cross) EnCana Eni Kerr-McGee (now part of Anadarko) Occidental Petroleum Petroecuador Repsol YPF Southern Cross Techint Texaco (part of Chevron)
Inuit Leader Sheila Watt-Cloutier Announces Intention to File a Human Right Claim: As the largest source of greenhouse gases, U.S. must take action to reduce global warming
Author: Earthjustice [USA]
Ms. Sheila Watt-Cloutier, elected chair of the Inuit Circumpolar Conference (ICC), announced tonight that the ICC will soon petition the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, seeking a declaration that emissions of greenhouse gases that are...
Author: AccountAbility, Business for Social Responsibility
[refers to Antamina, Cortez Gold (joint venture Placer Dome & Kennecott Minerals, part of Rio Tinto), Minera Escondida (joint venture BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto, Jeco), Diavik (joint venture Rio Tinto & Aber Diamond Mines), AngloGold Ashanti]
- Related stories: How can companies in agriculture, finance, mining & pharmaceuticals best contribute to economic development & poverty alleviation? Reports by AccountAbility & Business for Social Responsibility
- Related companies: Aber Diamond AngloGold Ashanti Antamina (joint venture BHP Billiton, Glencore, Teck, Mitsubishi Corporation) BHP Billiton Diavik (joint venture Rio Tinto & Aber Diamond Mines) Kennecott Minerals (part of Rio Tinto) Placer Dome (part of Barrick Gold) Rio Tinto
Author: Marcela Valente, Inter Press Service
Buenos Aires has unexpectedly become the new stage for a long-standing battle between an Argentine oil company [Compañia General de Combustibles (part of Southern Cross)], and an Ecuadorian indigenous community fighting to defend its ancestral land...
- Related companies: Compañía General de Combustibles (part of Southern Cross) Southern Cross
Author: UN Global Compact, Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights
The present book, published jointly by the Global Compact Office and the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, aims to provide information to companies to help with the human rights challenges they face and give informative and useful...
[DOC] In Search for Direct Corporate Responsibility for Human Rights Violations in Africa: Which Way Forward?
Author: Tsafack Jean. B. Fokwa, LL. M. candidate, Univ. of Pretoria Faculty of Law
...this study focuses on the responsibility concept for corporate human rights violations and the objective of this study is to explore, examine and assess various avenues for asserting responsibility for corporate human rights violations. [refers to...
Author: Ana Elena Obando, Women's Human Rights net
[A] special report on the legal, civil and criminal responsibilities of states and corporations to the people for the violation of their human rights. It explains the international legal framework and the mechanisms available that may be used to hold...
- Related stories: Apartheid reparations lawsuits (re So. Africa) BHP lawsuit (re Papua New Guinea) Cambior lawsuit (re Guyana) ExxonMobil lawsuit (re Aceh) Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) Texaco/Chevron lawsuits (re Ecuador) Union Carbide/Dow lawsuit (re Bhopal) Unocal lawsuit (re Myanmar) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Latest News on Pacific Business & Human Rights
- Related companies: BHP Billiton Cambior Chevron Chiquita Dole Dow Chemical ExxonMobil Monsanto (part of Bayer) Occidental Chemical (part of Occidental Petroleum) Occidental Petroleum Pemex Shell Texaco (part of Chevron) Total Union Carbide (part of Dow) Unocal (part of Chevron)