UN Committee against Torture
Related stories and components
UN experts call for focus on human rights & corporate accountability in Sustainable Development Goals
Author: UN News Centre
"UN experts say post-2015 negotiations must emphasize human rights, accountability",...
Global Economy, Global Rights - A practioners' guide for interpreting human rights obligations in the global economy
Author: Corporate Accountability Working Group, International Network for Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
This report synthesizes and analyses the interpretation of extraterritorial obligations (ETOs) in the context of corporate human rights violations from the perspective of United Nations (UN) treaty bodies…Decades of growth in transnational business...
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
[Business & Human Rights Resource Centre case profile for lawsuit against Total over alleged complicity in crimes against humanity, such as torture and forced labour, committed by the Myanmar military junta in the course of construction and...
- Related stories: Case profile: Total lawsuit in Belgium (re Myanmar)
Israeli prisons equipped by notorious security firm G4S hold Palestinian teens in solitary confinement
Author: Adri Nieuwhof, Electronic Intifada
Israel has held six Palestinian boys from Nablus in solitary confinement in al-Jalame detention center...writes Defence for Children International-Palestine Section...Following their detention in al-Jalame, the boys were transferred to Megiddo prison....
Author: Rafael Marques de Morais, allAfrica.com
Angolan anti-corruption campaigner Rafael Marques de Morais has filed a criminal complaint with the attorney-general of Angola against two diamond mining companies and their directors, who include top military officers. Marques...alleges that the...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News Latest news on conflict & peace
- Related companies: Alfa 5 Endiama (Empresa Nacional de Diamantes de Angola) ITM Mining Lev Leviev Group Lumanhe Luminas (Sociedade Mineira de Luminas) (joint venture Lev Leviev, Endiama & Twins Ltd) Odebrecht SDM (Sociedade de Desenvolvimento Mineiro de Angola) (joint venture Odebrecht & Endiama) Teleservice
Author: Vernon Silver & Ben Elgin, Bloomberg
[scroll down for statement by Nokia Siemens Networks] Bahraini jailers armed with stiff rubber hoses beat the 39-year-old school administrator and human rights activist...[then] Al Khanjar…[was] question[ed] by a[n]…officer armed with…transcripts of...
- Related stories: Bahrain: Surveillance software, provided by Nokia Siemens Networks & Trovicor, allegedly used to obtain information during interrogation & torture of dissidents - includes company comments
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on conflict & peace Technology and telecommunication Torture & ill-treatment
- Related companies: Facebook Nokia Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) (joint venture Nokia and Siemens) Siemens TeleStrategies
[PDF] Disputed Ground: A Community User’s Guide to the Review Process of the Office of the Extractive Sector Corporate Social Responsibility Counsellor [Canada]
Author: International Human Rights Program, University of Toronto Faculty of Law
This Guide is meant to assist communities and individuals who allege that their human rights, labour rights, or environmental rights have been breached by a Canadian-based mining or extractive company operating outside of Canada…In particular, this...
- Related stories: Canada: New guide to help affected communities access govt. dispute resolution mechanism for extractive sector issues
- Related in-depth areas: Tools & Guidance
- Related companies: Goldcorp
[PDF] Stakeholder Submission on United States Obligations to Respect, Protect and Remedy Human Rights in the Context of Business Activities
Author: Center for Constitutional Rights, EarthRights International, Western Shoshone Defense Project, ESCR-Net
This joint stakeholder submission analyzes the United States’ record in discharging its obligations to respect, protect and remedy in the context of human rights abuses involving business enterprises acting abroad and on or near indigenous lands in...
- Related stories: Blackwater USA lawsuit (re 16 Sep 2007 Baghdad incident) Chiquita lawsuits (re Colombia) EarthRights Intl. submits two reports to UN: coalition report on US corporate accountability & EarthRights Intl. report on human rights litigation Firestone lawsuit (re Liberia) KBR lawsuit (re human trafficking in Iraq) Pfizer lawsuit (re Nigeria) Unocal lawsuit (re Myanmar) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Blackwater Bridgestone Caterpillar Chevron Chiquita KBR L-3 Communications L-3 Titan (part of L-3 Communications) Pfizer Titan (now L-3 Titan) Unocal (part of Chevron) Xe (formerly Blackwater)
Author: Tovah Lazaroff, Jerusalem Post
...[Israel] is under period review this year by the [UN Committee Against Torture], which has received reports on Israeli violations of the UN Convention Against Torture from at least eight NGOs, including…Physicians for Human Rights and Amnesty...
- Related in-depth areas: Torture & ill-treatment