UN Special Rapporteur on rights of indigenous peoples
UN Special Rapporteur on rights of indigenous peoples
The post of the United Nations Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights and fundamental freedoms of indigenous peoples was created in 2001 (UN Commission on Human Rights resolution 2001/57). The mandate was renewed by the UN Human Rights Council in 2007.
The Special Rapporteur is mandated to promote and protect the human rights and freedoms of indigenous peoples, in close cooperation with the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues. The Special Rapporteur reports on the overall human rights situations of indigenous peoples in selected countries and addresses specific cases of alleged violations of indigenous peoples through communications with governments and others. The Rapporteur examines and reports on the practices of states and non-state entities impacting on the rights of indigenous people, and has produced reports that refer to the role and influence of companies with special attention to the rights of indigenous children and women.
The current UN Special Rapporteur is Ms. Victoria Tauli Corpuz, appointed in 2014 by the UN Human Rights Council. The Special Rapporteur from 2008 to 2014 was Professor S. James Anaya.
Reports by the former Rapporteur relating to the private sector include:
- "Report of the Special Rapporteur on the rights of indigenous peoples, James Anaya - Extractive industries and indigenous peoples", James Anaya, UN Special Rapporteur - annual report to the UN Human Rights Council, 1 Jul 2013
- [Español] "Informe del Relator Especial sobre los derechos de los pueblos indígenas, James Anaya - Las industrias extractivas y los pueblos indígenas", James Anaya, Relator Especial de la ONU sobre pueblos indígenas, 1 julio 2013
- [Español] "Informe del Relator Especial sobre los derechos de los pueblos indígenas [en Argentina]", James Anaya, Relator Especial de la ONU sobre pueblos indígenas, 1 julio 2012 - incluye referencias a múltiples empresas privadas
- [Español] "La situatión de los pueblos indígenas en Colombia: seguimiento a las recomendaciones hechas por el relator especial anterior", James Anaya, Relator Especial de la ONU sobre pueblos indígenas, 8 enero 2010
- "Observations on the situation of the Charco la Pava community and other communities affected by the Chan 75 hydroelectric project in Panama", James Anaya, UN Special Rapporteur on indigenous people, 7 Sep 2009
- [Español] "Observaciones sobre la situación de la Comunidad Charco la Pava y otras comunidades afectadas por el Proyecto Hidroelétrico Chan 75 (Panamá)", James Anaya Relator Especial de la ONU sobre pueblos indígenas, 7 septiembre 2009
- Report on the Promotion of all Human Rights, Civil, Political, Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, including the Right to Development - see page 19: "The duty to consult and private company responsibility", James Anaya, UN Special Rapporteur on indigenous peoples, 15 Jul 2009
- UN expert praises Nicaragua for formally confirming land ownership for indigenous group, James Anaya, UN Special Rapporteur on indigenous peoples, 17 Dec 2008
For further details, see:
- Official UN site for UN Special Rapporteur on indigenous peoples
- Unofficial website of the Special Rapporteur
Related stories and components
Author: Global Witness
30 Jul 2019...
- Related stories: Global Witness report shows three defenders were killed each week in 2018, most in relation to mining, agribusiness & hydro
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders Women human rights defenders
- Related companies: Dole Philippines (see Dolefil) Itochu JPMorgan Chase Promoción y Desarrollo Hídricos (PDHSA) (Now Energía y Renovación S.A ) Sterlite Industries (part of Vedanta Resources) TC Energy (formerly Transcanada) Vedanta Resources
Author: Educa Oaxaca (México)
“Caso CODEDI: Detención arbitraria y abuso en contra de defensor de DH Froylán González”, 12 de febrero de 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Últimas noticias sobre defensoras/es
Author: Deutsche Welle Brasil (Brazil)
“Em entrevista à DW, relatora especial das Nações Unidas sobre os Direitos dos Povos Indígenas critica a decisão de Bolsonaro de transferir atribuições à pasta da Agricultura. ‘É um retrocesso’, diz Victoria Tauli-Corpuz”, 3 de janeiro de 2019...
USA: 2018 report on state of human rights details violations of labour rights, access to water & free, prior & informed consent
Author: US Human Rights Network
In the United States this year...we have seen undeniable, egregious, and unapologetic violations of human rights... Illegal and immoral attempts to encroach on American Indian lands, territories, and the resources of Indigenous Peoples have always been...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on natural resources Natural Resources Technology and Human Rights
- Related companies: Alphabet Amazon.com Apple Bayer Ben & Jerry's (part of Unilever) Facebook Google (part of Alphabet) McDonald's Microsoft Monsanto (part of Bayer) Taco Bell (part of YUM!) Unilever Walmart Whole Foods Market (part of Amazon) YUM!
Author: Oficina del Alto Comisionado de las Naciones Unidas para los Derechos Humanos
“Expertos de ONU preocupados por condena a líder indígena en represalia por oposición al proyecto hidroeléctrico Oxec”, 19 de diciembre de 2019...
- Related companies: Oxec (part of Energy Resources Capital)
"This schedule lists events related to human rights and climate change organised during the COP-24 in Katowice, whether in the UNFCCC venue or outside..."
Intl. Work Group for Indigenous Affairs' report summarizes recommendations from intl. conference, incl. on private sector
Author: International Work Group for Indigenous Affairs (Denmark)
"Outcome document: Defending the defenders", Oct 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders
Latin America: Indigenous peoples raise concerns over criminalization for their opposition to megadams in their territories
Author: Latin America News Dispatch
“How can the un better include indigenous peoples in its development goals? There’s an app for that”- October 10 2018...