UN Working Group on business & human rights
The UN Working Group on business & human rights was established by the UN Human Rights Council in 2011 for a 3-year term that continues to be renewed. Full details of its mandate, commentaries on its work, and other materials are on our dedicated portal.
Related stories and components
Author: Antonella Angelini, Columbia Law School, on Fair Observer
"The Way Ahead for a UN Treaty on Business and Human Rights", 28 Feb 2019...
- Related stories: Reflections on the Zero Draft of the proposed legally binding treaty on business and human rights
- Related in-depth areas: Intergovernmental working group sessions Latest news on proposed binding treaty Statements, initiatives & commentaries
- Related companies: Vale
Author: Radio Nacional
“MINJUSDH destaca avances del Plan de Acción sobre Empresas y Derechos Humanos” – 28 de febrero de 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on National Action Plans
Author: Educa Oaxaca (México)
“Caso CODEDI: Detención arbitraria y abuso en contra de defensor de DH Froylán González”, 12 de febrero de 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Últimas noticias sobre defensoras/es
Author: UN Human Rights Office of the High Commissioner (OHCHR)
"UN experts condemn deadly police response to protest against copper smelting plant in India, call for probe", 31 May 2018...
- Related stories: India: At least 10 people dead during protests against Vedanta's operations; co. responds
- Related in-depth areas: Human rights defenders Natural resources (land, water, forests)
- Related companies: Sterlite Industries (part of Vedanta Resources) Vedanta Resources
The Civil Society Platform for Japan’s National Action Plan on Business and Human Rights (BHR-NAP Platform), a network of Japanese and international civil society organizations, has issued a statement stating that consultation with civil society in th...
UN Working Group issues report on human rights due diligence, with recommendations to governments, companies & investors
Full report to the UN General Assembly Companion note 1: Clarification of terms around human rights due diligence Companion note 2: Guidance to companies on human rights due diligence
Some observations and opinions on the “zero” version of the draft treaty on business and human rights
Author: Nicolás Carrillo-Santarelli, profesor Universidad de La Sabana (Colombia)
The very fact that the recently-published draft treaty “to regulate, in international human rights law, the activities of transnational corporations and other business enterprises” is expressly referred to as the “zero draft” is a testament to its...
- Related stories: Experts reflect on the Zero Draft of the legally binding treaty on business and human rights
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on proposed binding treaty Statements, initiatives & commentaries
Author: Anita Ramasastry, UN Working Group on Business and Human Rights; Michel Forst, UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders; David R. Boyd, UN Special Rapporteur on human rights and the environment & Victoria Tauli-Corpuz, UN Special Rapporteur on the rights of indigenous peoples
"The deadly price of fighting for human and environmental rights", 04 Sep 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders