UN Treaty on Business & Human Rights "Zero Draft" Negotiations Day 1
Author: ECCJ (Belgium), Published on: 16 October 2018
On Monday 15 October 2018, the fourth session of the Open-ended intergovernmental working group on [the proposed business and human rights treaty] opened in Geneva. [The first day of the session saw:]
- Record number of registered participants.
- EU is present but does not participate in negotiations, some EU member states present but follow the EU’s line, as does Switzerland.
- Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights recalls the goal of this process: Stopping corporate abuse.
- MEP Helmut Scholz calls for urgent acceleration of negotiations based on the EP’s resolution for genuine and constructive engagement of EU.
- Civil society voices strong support and need for extending Draft Zero...