Urgent Appeal Campaign Coordinator at Clean Clothes Campaign
Start date: 1 Febraury 2016
The Clean Clothes Campaign (CCC) is dedicated to improving working conditions and supporting the empowerment of workers in the global garment industry. In the twenty five years of our existence an extensive and effective global network of some 250 trade unions and NGO's has been created. Currently the CCC is revising her global network structure in order to maintain and strengthen the impact of its objectives. For more information: www.cleanclothes.org.
The mission of the CCC network includes the commitment to work in solidarity with organised workers in global supply chains fighting for their rights anywhere from the workplace to the global level and to take action on concrete cases of violations of the rights of workers and activists. Through its Urgent Appeals network, requests from garment workers and their organisations for urgent assistance in cases of labour rights violations are translated into lobby, advocacy and public campaigns with the aim to increase pressure on companies and authorities to provide redress and prevent future violations from happening. Cases can relate to factory-level specific violations or structural violations in garment producing countries.
We are seeking a dedicated and talented colleague to join our Urgent Appeal (UA) team at the CCC International Office. You oversee and support the development of strategies for factory level and thematic urgent appeal campaigns, and coordinate international alliances in follow up on specific urgent appeal cases. Via the integration of specific cases into general campaigns and advocacy of the CCC network, you support our work to transform the global garment industry into a just and fair workplace for all.
The position involves traveling several times per year.
Tasks and responsibilities include:
- you develop, plan and implement lobby and advocacy strategies for specific and thematic cases of labour rights violations, targeting companies and authorities in collaboration with partners in the global North and South;
- you advise thematic teams at the International Office on trends and developments concerning labour rights violations emerging from the UA cases, and support the integration of specific cases into general campaigns and advocacy of the CCC network;
- you investigate and analyse the context and information of specific UA cases, mainly through communication with CCC partner organisations in garment-producing organisations;
- you coordinate urgent appeal case groups, including CCC partner organisations and global allies;
- you oversee and support the implementation of public campaign activities in collaboration with the International Office Public Outreach team and partners in the global North and South;
- you develop strategies to create broad support for the (UA) work of the CCC and for communication and press work on UA
- you take part in staff meetings, planning activities and general organisational related tasks, including fundraising.
- at least five years experience with strategic analysis of, and lobby and campaigning on global institutions, governments and/or companies;
- experience in developing and coordinating (public) advocacy campaigns;
- experience in coordinating a variety of organisations within a global network;
- excellent analytical skills and ability to keep track of multiple ongoing cases;
- excellent (inter cultural) communication and networking skills;
- commitment to labour rights, knowledge of garment industry and labour rights issues a plus;
- native or near-native speaker level English skills both in speaking and writing;
- ability to keep your focus in a sometimes stressful environment;
- willingness and ability to be flexible given work across time zones and to undertake overseas travel;
- have a valid work and residence permit for the Netherlands/EU.
- a dynamic job in a non-hierarchical organisation in which all staff earn the same salary, within an inspiring international network;
- a salary of 3000 Euros gross per month for a 32-hour work week and 8% holiday pay;
- excellent fringe benefits such as a fully paid pension plan, reimbursement of travel costs and 5-6 weeks holidays.
Job title: Urgent Appeal Campaign Coordinator
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Closing date: 5 January 2016