Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in Brazil
Vale was known as Companhia Vale do Rio Doce (CVRD) until Nov 2007. For items about the company prior to Nov 2007, see our website section on Companhia Vale do Rio Doce.
Supporter of Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
[Vale response to allegations]…The Chairman of the Board of Directors of Vale, Dan Conrado, and CEO, Murilo Ferreira, requested an audit into allegations made by Vale ́s former employee Andre Almeida related to supposed acts of spying on employees and...
- Related stories: Brazil: Former manager accuses Vale of spying on employees & infiltrating social & environmental movements; company response provided Brazil: Public Prosecutor opens investigation into allegations of spying by Vale on human rights defenders
- This is a response from the following companies: Vale
Author: Intl. Council on Mining and Metals (ICMM)
ICMM has launched the report of the Health and Safety Conference held in Santiago, Chile, in November 2012. The conference brought together 19 companies, over 300 delegates and five chief executives to share lessons and learn from each other. Based...
Author: Andina (Perú)
Las compañías y mineras están incrementando sus compromisos con los derechos humanos…en particular con los de los pueblos indígenas, revela el estudio de…Oxfam América sobre el Índice sobre Consentimiento de la Comunidad en el sector extractivo. Según...
- Related companies: Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Barrick Gold BHP Billiton BP Canadian Natural Resources Chevron ConocoPhillips Equinor (formerly Statoil) ExxonMobil Freeport-McMoRan Goldcorp (now Newmont Goldcorp) Hess Corporation Imperial Oil Inmet Mining Marathon Oil Perenco Pluspetrol Repsol Rio Tinto Shell Talisman (part of Repsol) Total Vale Xstrata (part of Glencore)
Author: Lauro Jardim, Veja online [Brazil] [translation provided by People Affected by Vale]
[Business & Human Rights Resource Centre invited Vale to respond. Response provided.] A former Vale manager...André Almeida…[claims]...that company directors ordered him to tap employees' phones, to get journalist's phone bills, and to place...
- Related stories: Brazil: Former manager accuses Vale of spying on employees & infiltrating social & environmental movements; company response provided
- Related companies: Vale
Author: South African Press Association (SAPA)
Hundreds of Mozambican protesters blocked access to a coal mine owned by Brazilian group Vale...demanding compensation for the loss of livelihood caused by resettlement...The community is up in arms over the loss of its brick-making activities in the...
- Related companies: Vale
Author: UN Conference on Trade and Development
UNCTAD hosted its first Global CSR Retreat…bringing together 27 corporate social responsibility (CSR) professionals from 18 countries for a…peer-to-peer learning event. Participants shared best practices on sustainable business with their peers from...
Author: Globo.co, [Brasil]
Por conta de violações às normas de meio ambiente e segurança do trabalho, o Ministério Público do Trabalho no Maranhão (MPT-MA) ingressou com uma Ação Civil Pública (ACP) contra a mineradora Vale...por dano moral coletivo...O MPT-MA investiga a Vale...
Author: Ed O’Keefe, Director at Synergy Global Consulting in Financial Times
… [A]t the annual Africa Mining Indaba in Cape Town…[t]his year…the debate was as much about people and politics as it was about mining. The agenda has clearly changed. At previous Indabas…[d]iscussions on the social outcomes of mining, the resource...
[PDF] Summary of discussions of the Forum on Business and Human Rights, prepared by the Chairperson, John Ruggie
Author: Prepared by the Chairperson, John Ruggie
The present document provides a summary of the discussions of the first annual Forum on Business and Human Rights, held on 4 and 5 December 2012. Due to the word limit of the document and the scale of the event (21 substantive sessions), this summary...
- Related stories: Summary of discussions of Forum on Business and Human Rights
- Related in-depth areas: Videos & text of presentations & discussions - UN Forum on Business and Human Rights 2012
- Related companies: ABB Aboitiz Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti BHP Billiton Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore Xstrata) Flextronics Gazprom Hitachi Jindal Microsoft Mitsubishi Group Mitsui Nedbank Rio Tinto Sakhalin Energy (joint venture Shell, Gazprom, Mitsui, & Mitsubishi) Shell Total UBS Vale Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)