Waitrose (part of John Lewis Partnership)
Waitrose website: http://www.waitrose.com
Kenya: Study on how Covid-19 pandemic has disproportionately impacted women working in the horticultural sector
Hivos recently conducted an assessment to establish the impact of Covid-19 on women workers in the horticulture sector. The study reveals that women have been disproportionately impacted, now doing more work for less. A majority of workers interviewed...
Brazil: International Backlash over Amazon land reform bill, includes an open letter; Sweden’s AP7 pension fund, Sainsbury's and Marks & Spencer, were among more than 40 companies that signed
“British supermarkets threaten Brazil boycott over proposed forest law. British supermarkets have warned Brazil they might have to boycott its products if lawmakers there pass a contentious bill that could enable faster destruction of the Amazon...
- Related stories: Brasil: Medida Provisória de regularização fundiária estimula devastação da Amazônia
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on natural resources
- Related companies: Ahold Delhaize Aldi Süd AP7 ASDA (part of Walmart) Burger King Iceland (part of the Big Food Group) Kerry Group Marks & Spencer Metro AG Migros Nando's Ocado Robeco Sainsbury's Storebrand Swedbank Tesco Waitrose (part of John Lewis Partnership)
Author: The Institute for Human Rights and Business via CSR Wire
"UK Supermarket Bosses Pressed on Employee Health & Safety by Human Rights Think Tank", 25 March 2020...
UK retailers announce package of support to drive responsible recruitment of workers in global supply chains
Author: Responsible Recruitment Toolkit
"PRESS RELEASE: Retailers unite in mission to drive the responsible recruitment of workers in global supply chains", 25 February 2020...
Thailand: Intl. seafood buyers urge govt. to stay strong in transition towards ethical & sustainable fishing sector
Global retailers and buyers sourcing seafood from Thailand have called on the government to safeguard major reforms in the fishing industry amidst fears of back-tracking. Signatories of an open letter to the Thai government, which include Aldi, Lidl,...
Calls for major reforms to UK Modern Slavery Act & mandatory due diligence growing, Ethical Corporation reports
Author: Katherine Steiner-Dicks, Ethical Corporation
"‘We know most global companies have modern slavery in their supply chains’", 6 Aug 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on mandatory human rights due diligence Latest news on modern slavery & forced labour
- Related companies: "S Group" Argos (part of Home Retail Group) ASDA (part of Walmart) ASN Bank (part of SNS Reaal) ASOS Barry Callebaut Bavaria (part of SABMiller) Cargill Heineken Home Retail Group Homebase (part of Home Retail Group) John Lewis Partnership Marks & Spencer Rabobank Sainsbury's SNS Reaal Tesco Tony's Chocoloney Travis Perkins Vedanta Resources Waitrose (part of John Lewis Partnership) Walmart Wickes
Charity & police break up UK's largest modern slavery ring; victims worked in farms allegedly supplying UK retailers & supermarkets
In July 2019, the largest-ever modern slavery ring uncovered in the UK has been broken up following a three-year investigation into its activities. Investigators found some of its 400 victims worked for as little as 50p a day, working on farms, rubbish...
Chile: UK supermarkets linked to avocados sourced from regions where water rights abuses occur; incl. co comments
Author: Alice Facchini and Sandra Laville, The Guardian
Major UK supermarkets including Tesco, Morrisons, Waitrose, Aldi and Lidl source avocados from Chile’s largest avocado-producing province, Petorca, where water rights have been violated......