Whatsapp (part of Facebook)
Headquarters in USA
Author: Nicolas Sanders, RFI
« WhatsApp accuse une société israélienne de cyber-espionnage », 30 Octobre 2019...
- Related stories: WhatsApp dépose une plainte contre NSO Group l'accusant d'avoir espionné les téléphones portables de plus de 100 défenseurs des droits
- Related in-depth areas: Dernières infos juridiques Dernières infos sur les défenseurs des droits de l'homme Technologies de l’information Technology and Human Rights
- Related companies: Facebook NSO Group Whatsapp (part of Facebook)
Author: Ana Zbona & Phil Bloomer, Business & Human Rights Resource Centre, Open Global Rights
There’s been widespread coverage...that Whatsapp is suing NSO Group – an Israeli surveillance company – because of a cyberattack exploiting a vulnerability in Whatsapp... [The] attack...targeted at least 100 human-rights defenders...NSO has vigorously...
Author: Access Now
“Comunicado: Sí y mil veces sí al cifrado”, 31 de octubre de 2019...
- Related companies: Whatsapp (part of Facebook)
WhatsApp sues Israeli cyber surveillance company NSO Group, accusing it of hacking the phones of human rights activists & journalists
In May 2019, WhatsApp detected a series of suspicious calls on its network and determined that the calls were infecting targeted phones with spyware. After the incident, Citizen Lab volunteered to help WhatsApp identify cases where the suspected...
Nigeria: Use of WhatsApp among older generations contributing to spread of fake news, includes company comments
Author: Yomi Kazeem, Quartz Africa
"Whatsapp is the medium of choice for older Nigerians spreading fake news", 22 October 2019....
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg defends content moderation policies while criticizing TikTok's censorship
Author: Business Insider
“Mark Zuckerberg just slammed China for allegedly censoring Hong Kong protest videos on TikTok: 'Is that the internet we want?'”, 18 October 2019...
Facebook's plan to add end-to-end encryption to its messaging services receives mixed responses from govts. & civil society
Facebook announced that it would add end-to-end encryption to all of its messaging services in an effort to better protect the privacy of its users. The announcement was supported by many human rights NGOs, noting the need to protect the right to...
NSO group develops human rights policy, vowing to abide by UN Guiding Principles, but human rights watchdogs are sceptical
Author: Steven Scheer, Reuters
"Cyber firm NSO vows to tackle human rights misuse", 10 Sep 2019...
- Related stories: Novalpina Capital buys spyware co. NSO Group & commits to helping it become more transparent
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Facebook Novalpina Capital NSO Group Whatsapp (part of Facebook)