Winter Academy: The UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights: From Theory to Practice
Educational Programme | 28 Jan - 1 Feb | Hague
2019The Winter Academy is an educational programme for advanced students and young professionals dedicated to the growing field of business and human rights.
After the adoption of the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights in 2011, a flurry of initiatives by international organisations, national governments, corporations and civil society organisations have seen the light. New national laws are being adopted, new corporate codes are being drafted, and a new international treaty is being negotiated to define and regulate the responsibilities of businesses for human rights. Our Winter Academy will equip a new generation of professionals with the necessary theoretical and practical skills to navigate and actively engage with these transformations, be it as a lawyer, activist, corporate adviser, government official or researcher.
A hands-on comprehensive programme
The Winter Academy will feature high-level academic lecturers who are currently shaping the scholarly debates on business and human rights as well as practitioners with hands-on experience in the field. Participants will acquire a well-rounded understanding of soft and hard, legal and non-legal accountability mechanisms, through numerous interactive sessions that provide the opportunity to apply theoretical insights to various concrete case studies.
The Winter Academy 2019 covers the following key issues:
- The theoretical and historical roots of the UN Guiding Principles
- The implementation of the UN Guiding Principles at a national and transnational level
- The practical functioning of the responsibility of corporations to conduct human rights due diligence
- The impact of the UN Guiding Principles on the accessibility of remedies in business and human rights cases
- The need for a binding treaty on business and human rights to complement the UN Guiding Principles
For more information about the event and how to register please follow the link provided below.