Xstrata (part of Glencore)
Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in Switzerland
Xstrata merged with Glencore in May 2013. The merged company was called Glencore Xstrata until it changed its name back to Glencore in May 2014.
Supporter of Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
Author: Chrystelle Barbier, Le Monde (France)
« Après des affrontements meurtriers, le dialogue reprend autour du plus grand projet minier du Pérou », 9 octobre 2015...
Author: Megan Darby, Responding to Climate Change (RTCC)
"Around the world in 5 climate change lawsuits", 9 Jun 2015...
A country guide on business and human rights in South Africa has been produced by the South African Human Rights Commission together with the Danish Institute for Human Rights. the report seeks to raise awareness of the key human rights abuses...
Author: Marina Grintsvayg, Synergy (So. Africa)
The Community Relations Practice in the Extractive Industry programme has been developed in partnership by Synergy Global and the Centre for Sustainability in Mining and Industry at the University of Witwatersrand, with support from Anglo Gold Ashanti...
Author: Oxfam America
This research backgrounder provides an overview of global policies and standards pertaining to Free Prior Informed Consent (FPIC) relevant to the African context. The policies and standards highlighted in the report attest to a growing recognition of...
Author: Peru Support Group (UK)
Xstrata Tintaya…[part of] Glencore Xstrata, has been fined…for polluting pastureland around its copper mine in Espinar, Cusco...Xstrata Tintaya was found responsible for elevated levels of copper in the soil in an area of pasture…The company had also...
- Related stories: Peru: Xstrata Tintaya fined over copper waste contamination of community pastureland
- Related companies: Glencore Glencore Xstrata (now Glencore) Xstrata (part of Glencore)
“Police in the Pay of Mining Companies The responsibility of Switzerland and Peru for human rights violations in mining dispute”
Author: Society for Threatened Peoples (STP), Grufides, Derechos Humanos sin Fronteras and Coordinadora Nacional de Derechos Humanos
…For this report, Society for Threatened Peoples (STP) and the three Peruvian non-governmental organisations Grufides, Derechos Humanos sin Fronteras and Coordinadora Nacional de Derechos Humanos have examined in detail agreements concluded with the...
- Related stories: Peru: Following killing of protester against mining project, govt. & civil society examine contracts between mining firms & police; includes company statements
- Related companies: Antamina (joint venture BHP Billiton, Glencore, Teck, Mitsubishi Corporation) BHP Billiton Buenaventura Glencore Gold Fields Minera Yanacocha (joint venture Newmont & Compañía de Minas Buenaventura) Mitsubishi Group Newmont Teck Resources Xstrata (part of Glencore)
Author: Marya Salamat, Bulatlat (Philippines)
…Juvy Capion, wife of Blaan leader and anti-mining activist Daguil Capion, was killed in “a military operation” along with her two sons…[in] Davao del Sur…[A recent] resolution from the Office of the Provincial Prosecutor…ordered the dismissal of the...
[PDF] Global Capital, Local Concessions: A Data-Driven Examination of Land Tenure Risk and Industrial Concessions in Emerging Market Economies
Author: Rights and Resources Initiative
Using geospatial data from 12 emerging market economies (EMEs), this analysis attempts to guide investors in emerging markets by shedding light on a difficult problem: overlapping land claims that diminish the value and viability of industrial...
- Related companies: Aracruz Celulose (now Fibria Celulose) Barrick Gold Fibria Celulose Glencore Hochschild Mining Indophil Resources McGraw Hill Financial (formerly McGraw Hill Companies) Rio Tinto Sagittarius Mines Inc (SMI) Standard & Poor's (part of McGraw Hill Financial) Stora Enso Talisman Xstrata (part of Glencore)