Xstrata (part of Glencore)
Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in Switzerland
Xstrata merged with Glencore in May 2013. The merged company was called Glencore Xstrata until it changed its name back to Glencore in May 2014.
Supporter of Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
[DOC] Better Access to Remedy in Company-Community Conflicts in the field of CSR: A Model for Company-Based Grievance Mechanisms
Author: Cristina Cedillo, Institute for Environmental Security
The present research will contribute to the current literature on CSR and will propose a model for company-based mechanisms that can aspire to solving disputes in non-judicial, anticipated and CSR-conscious way. Hence, the mechanism should be designed...
Environmental activists…launched an unprecedented court challenge on climate change grounds to Anglo-Swiss miner Xstrata's plans for a mammoth Australian coal mine. Brought by landowners and green group Friends of the Earth, the case is seeking a ban...
- Related stories: Australia: Landowners & Friends of the Earth challenge Xstrata's coal mine plans on climate change grounds
- Related companies: Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)
Author: UN Special Representative on business & human rights John Ruggie
The Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General for business and human rights has identified instances of applications of the U.N. “Protect, Respect and Remedy” Framework, in whole or in part, as a resource for those looking for...
- Related in-depth areas: Draft Guiding Principles UN Secretary-General's Special Representative on business & human rights
- Related companies: Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Barclays Barrick Gold BHP Billiton Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore Xstrata) Chevron Citigroup Eni ExxonMobil General Electric Goldcorp Nestlé Phillips-Van Heusen Shell TNT (part of TPG) TPG Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)
Author: Ross Tieman, Financial Times
In the third quarter of this year, Xstrata Copper expects to begin developing a $4.2bn copper mine in the Apurimac Region of southern Peru. Construction of the Las Bambas project will be the culmination of a seven-year process to obtain not only...
Author: Financial Times
[Articles include: "Benefits flow as top people join the battle" [for sustainability - refers to UN Global Compact survey of executives]; "Tracking social impact catches up with resource issues"; "Groups use purchasing power to combat poverty"; ...
Author: Norwegian Government Pension Fund
Walt Disney, Ericsson and Hennes & Mauritz [H&M] were among 9 out of 527 companies to get top marks for managing and reporting on the risks of child labour use and children’s rights violations in their operations and supply chains...Intel,...
- Related stories: ILO report released on the World Day Against Child Labour calls for urgent action against hazardous forms of child labour
- Related in-depth areas: Case examples Latest news on Children
- Related companies: Anglo American Ericsson Gildan Activewear Hennes & Mauritz (see H&M) Intel Motorola Motorola Mobility (part of Google) Motorola Solutions Norges Bank Investment Management (NBIM) Phillips-Van Heusen Walt Disney Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)
Author: Senador Jorge Enrique Robledo, Colombia
4.500 accidentes de trabajo en los diez últimos años, solo en la Drummond, 700 enfermos profesionales hoy en El Cerrejón [parte de Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Xstrata]...muchos enfermos de cáncer y bronquitis en Cerromatoso [parte de BHP Billiton]…...
Argentine Environmental Group Files Complaint in Australia Against Xstrata Copper for Destroying Glaciers and Permafrost
Author: Center for Human Rights and Environment (CEDHA)
CEDHA [Center for Human Rights and Environment]…lodged a complaint…against Xstrata Copper in Australia, accusing the…company of destroying glaciers and permafrost in two of its operations in Argentina…The complaint [was] filed before an office of the...
- Related stories: Argentina: ONG publica informe sobre posibles impactos de proyecto minero El Pachón de Xstrata sobre los glaciares y las fuentes de agua de comunidades locales
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Barrick Gold Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)
[PDF] Piloting Principles for Effective Company-Stakeholder Grievance Mechanisms: A Report of Lessons Learned
Author: Caroline Rees, Corporate Social Responsibility Initiative, Harvard Kennedy School, on behalf of UN Special Representative on business & human rights John Ruggie
This report sets out key lessons learned from a pilot project conducted in 2009-2010 to test the practical applicability of a set of principles for effective non-judicial grievance mechanisms...involving businesses and their stakeholders. The...
- Related stories: Report on "Piloting Principles for Effective Company-Stakeholder Grievance Mechanisms" - with new annexes by Doug Cahn, Stephan Sonnenberg, Luc Zandvliet
- Related in-depth areas: Company-based General non-judicial mechanisms Grievance mechanisms (non-judicial) UN Secretary-General's Special Representative on business & human rights
- Related companies: Anglo American BHP Billiton Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore Xstrata) Delta Electronics Esquel Gazprom HP (Hewlett-Packard) Mitsubishi Group Mitsui Sakhalin Energy (joint venture Shell, Gazprom, Mitsui, & Mitsubishi) Shell Tesco Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)