YouTube (part of Alphabet)
Headquarters in USA
The reorganization of Google into Alphabet was completed on 2 October 2015.
Author: Rebecca MacKinnon, fellow at New America Foundation & founder of Global Voices, in Foreign Policy [USA]
...[On] June 1, Ho Tsung-hsun was suddenly shut out of his Facebook account...Ho [is] a veteran activist and citizen journalist on environmental and social issues in Taiwan...Company executives insist that the suspensions [in Taiwan & Hong Kong]...
Author: Ian Brown & Douwe Korff, Global Network Initiative
While states are responsible for protecting human rights online under international law, companies responsible for Internet infrastructure, products and services can play an important supporting role. Companies also have a legal and corporate social...
- Related stories: Amesys lawsuit (re Libya) Cisco Systems lawsuits (re China) Governments & companies can collaborate to protect freedom of expression & privacy online, says report commissioned by Global Network Initiative Yahoo! lawsuit (re China) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Civil society recommendations to governments Freedom of expression Information & communications technology Privacy
- Related companies: Amesys (part of Bull) Blue Coat Bull Google Intel McAfee (part of Intel) Microsoft Nokia Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) (joint venture Nokia and Siemens) Siemens TeliaSonera Twitter Vodafone YouTube (part of Google) ZTE
Author: Regeringskansliet, Government Offices of Sweden
This paper aims to stimulate collective action in relation to protecting and enhancing human rights, focusing on the freedom of expression on the Internet through responsible business practices. It lays out the challenges and opportunities involved in...
Author: Michael Lewis, The Star [Canada]
Facebook is in damage control mode after a Sunday Times of London report accused the social media giant of spying on text messages and other personal data sent from users’ smartphones. The report said that Facebook is foremost among mobile app...
Author: JohnThomas Didymus, Digital Journal [Canada]
- Related stories: European commissioner of justice warns Google over "sneaking" citizens' privacy away with its new policy
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Google YouTube (part of Google)
Author: Angela Moscaritolo, PC Magazine
Facebook and Google, which are facing a lawsuit in India for allegedly hosting offensive content, are fighting back in a case that has fired up a debate over Internet censorship in democratic India. The two Web giants have asked the Delhi High Court...
Google Inc. (GOOG) will “continue to remove” in India content that is illegal or breaks the company’s terms of service, the owner of the world’s most popular search engine said, a day after a minister asked social media operators to better manage...