Gulf: Rights group issues recommendations to ensure fair access to the COVID-19 vaccine for migrant & domestic workers
"GCC states must ensure all residents have access to Covid-19 vaccines," 14 Jan 2021
All GCC countries will provide Covid-19 vaccinations to citizens and non-citizen residents free of charge... there are a number of measures GCC states should take to ensure that migrant workers enjoy equitable access to the vaccine...
it is critical that workers have agency over their own health, including the right to leave unsafe working environments...
Migrant-Rights.org issues the following recommendations:
- Ensure registration and all messaging is translated into languages common amongst workers, and that in-person registration options are available;
- Work with mobile clinics and companies to ensure that workers who are in distant places can receive the vaccine without an arduous journey;
- Work with community groups and embassies to drive registration and help spread messaging about the vaccine;
- In determining priority, take into account the exposure risk that many migrant workers may face in their working environments;
- Ensure irregular migrants also have access to the vaccine, and ensure they are not penalized for their status;
- Communicate with employers, including fo employers of domestic workers, to safeguard workers’ access to the vaccine;
- Since the vaccine is given in two doses, ensure no migrant is excluded from the second dose;
- Provide regular disaggregated data on vaccination rates of nationals and non-nationals.