Histoire et composants dans cette catégorie
Auteur: David Leigh & David Pallister, Guardian [UK]
A new "scramble for Africa" is taking place among the world's big powers, who are tapping into the continent for its oil and diamonds...Simon Taylor, director of Global Witness...said: "Western companies and banks have colluded in stripping Africa's...
Auteur: Anita Ramasastry, associate professor of law & director of the Shidler Center for Law, Commerce, & Technology at the University of Washington School of Law
Riggs Bank and its principal owners agreed to pay $8 million to a foundation established for victims of the former Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet. In exchange, a Spanish court agreed to dismiss criminal charges against bank officials...Both the...
- Entreprises concernées: Riggs Bank (now part of PNC Financial Services)
Auteur: International Alert
Oil, mining and natural gas companies often invest in conflict-prone societies – the nature of their business setting some limits on choice of risk profile. Most companies have no interest in exacerbating instability or violence, or otherwise becoming...
- Egalement dans: Conflict-Sensitive Business Practice: Guidance for Extractive Industries
- Domaines à la loupe: Business tools and guidance Extractive industry Guidance tools for business
- Entreprises concernées: Total
Auteur: Friends of the Earth, Plan B, Platform
[refers to BP, Shell, ChevronTexaco, ExxonMobil, AUPEC, Unocal, Yukos]
Auteur: John Bray, political risk specialist, Control Risks Group
In the worst cases, companies can inadvertently fuel the structural causes of the conflict, undermining prospects for recovery. However, by presenting a vision of a different kind of future, where personal success comes from entrepreneurial initiative...
- Domaines à la loupe: Academic Construction & engineering Finance Post-conflict reconstruction and reconciliation
- Entreprises concernées: Alcatel (now Alcatel-Lucent) Alstom ANZ Bank Arab Bank AT&T Banco Comercial Portugues Bank Austria Creditanstalt Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ (part of Mitsubishi UFJ) Bechtel BP Cable and Wireless Celtel China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) Compaq (part of HP) Crédit Agricole Crédit Lyonnais (part of Crédit Agricole) Ericsson ExxonMobil France Telecom (now Orange) Halliburton HP (Hewlett-Packard) HVB Hyatt ING JPMorgan Chase KBR Louis Berger Millicom Mitsui MTN National Grid ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation) Orascom Petronas Portugal Telecom Royal Bank of Canada RZB Group Sanpaolo IMI (part of Intesa Sanpaolo) Scottish and Southern Energy Shell Siemens Stanbic Bank Standard Bank Standard Chartered Talisman (part of Repsol) Telenor Telstra Unocal (part of Chevron) Vodacom
Auteur: Peter Maass, in Mother Jones
[the link connects to partial story on Mother Jones website; for complete version, enter the following access code in box at bottom of that page: MJCH5A] American bankers handled his loot. Oil companies play by his rules...How the pursuit of oil is...
- Egalement dans: Mother Jones report: Billions in Equatorial Guinea's oil revenues from US firms vanish through Riggs Bank [enter code MJCH5A for full story]
- Entreprises concernées: Chevron ExxonMobil Grupo Abayak Halliburton Hess Corporation Marathon Oil Riggs Bank (now part of PNC Financial Services)
Auteur: John Vidal, Guardian [UK]
São Tomé...is now a test case for oil companies and the world: will it be plundered and overwhelmed by the changes about to happen? Or could it...become the only...country ever to have found oil in large quantities, shared the benefits equitably and...
Auteur: Michael Peel, Christian Science Monitor
Even amid international efforts to bring greater transparency to the continent's resource exploration, the recent strife [in Nigeria] is a microcosm of widespread theft and mismanagement, which observers attribute to a combination of colonial-era...