We work with everyone to advance human rights in business. We track the human rights abuse and advances of companies around the world, and help the vulnerable eradicate abuse. Our mission is to:
- Build Corporate Transparency – the only free, global knowledge hub revealing the human rights performance and policy of over 6,000 companies in over 180 countries. Our website delivers up-to-date and comprehensive news in seven languages. It is relied on by advocates, activists, businesspeople, governments, investors and the UN. We expose reality in a field too often dominated by rhetoric. Our free Weekly Update e-newsletter has over 14,000 subscribers around the world.
- Strengthen Corporate Accountability – helping communities and civil society get companies to address concerns; seeking and publicising company responses to allegations; pursuing companies that fail to respond to allegations of egregious abuse. Our response rate is 70% globally. Advocates and communities thank us for bringing global attention to their concerns and for eliciting responses from companies. Companies thank us for providing them the opportunity to present their responses in full. This process often leads to real improvements on the ground.
- Empower Advocates – stimulating key debates and amplifying the voices of the vulnerable, and human rights advocates in civil society, media, companies and governments; providing briefings and analysis on countries, regions, and sectors; and the global hub for resources and guidance for action on business and human rights.
Taking international human rights standards as our starting point, topics covered include labour rights, conflict over natural resources such as land and minerals, internet freedom, privacy and freedom of expression, children, pollution and climate change, discrimination, access to medicines, security, tax avoidance, and trade and investment agreements. Guide to how to use the website.
Core values: We are:
- Focused on impact: We make a difference for vulnerable people and victims of abuse. We highlight the efforts and struggles of human rights advocates, and take up alleged abuse quickly and directly with companies.
- Collaborative: We seek to strengthen and support the broad business and human rights movement, cooperating with allies and partners around the world. We have a commitment to the global South, opening civic space, and supporting human rights defenders.
- Independent: We are independent of any government, religion, or political and economic interest. We do not accept donations from companies, company foundations or senior executives of corporations.
- Fair and Objective: We commit to represent fairly all sides of debates on business & human rights issues. We highlight good practice as well as criticisms of companies’ impacts, and give companies a real opportunity to respond in full to allegations of abuse before we post them.
- Beyond the Headlines: we draw attention to under-the-radar cases and countries and forgotten victims, alongside those in the public eye. We highlight emerging debates and issues.
We were founded in 2002, and we have come a long way since then. Here you can see how our organization's website has evolved throughout the years.