COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak
Since late 2019, an outbreak of the viral disease COVID-19 (commonly referred to as Coronavirus) - first identified in Wuhan, China - has spread across the globe, impacting hundreds of thousands of people. On 11 March 2020, the World Health Organization declared the outbreak had reached the level of a global pandemic.
Besides the health implications of the disease, which has a mortality rate in excess of 3% according to the World Health Organization, the outbreak has also been accompanied by waves of misinformation, fears regarding increased government surveillance, factory shutdowns as disruption ripples back up supply chains and fears for the protection of gig economy workers. The International Labour Organization initially estimated that up to 25 million jobs could be lost worldwide due to the pandemic, pushing millions of people into unemployment, underemployment and working poverty. It has since revised its estimate to 195 million job losses globally.
This In Depth Area will be updated with the latest news on the implications of the outbreak for business and human rights. Based on emerging themes of the crisis, we will also update the below sub-sections of this In Depth Area as the situation continues to unfold.
Domaines à la loupe
Les domaines à la loupe suivants sont disponibles dans d'autres langues
- 📄 COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Government & business response [English]
- 📄 COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Supply chain workers [English]
- 📄 COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Migrant workers [English]
- 📄 COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Human rights defenders & civic freedoms [English]
- 📄 COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Surveillance, censorship & privacy [English]
Histoires et éléments mentionnés dans ce domaine à la loupe
"AVERTING ETHNOCIDE: Indigenous peoples and territorial rights in crisis in the face of COVID-19 in Latin America", 20th July 2020...
Auteur: Moushumi Das Gupta, The Print
"Directly employed, self-employed also ‘migrant workers’ under Modi govt’s new definition", 23 July 2020...
- Domaines à la loupe: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak
Auteur: El Tiempo
“Colectivo José Alvear Restrepo preocupado por donaciones 'chatarra'” – 14 de julio de 2020...
Auteur: El Tiempo
“La tortura psicológica de los tripulantes de los cruceros” – 19 de julio de 2020...
“Plantean un marco legislativo necesario para proteger a los trabajadores en toda la cadena de suministro en materia de DDHH” – 16 de julio de 2020...
Auteur: Mexico News Daily
"Among companies, Pemex leads internationally in coronavirus deaths", 16th July 2020...
- Domaines à la loupe: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Government & business response
- Entreprises concernées: Pemex
Auteur: The Real News Network
…Peru’s lawmakers are weighing a vote on crucial legislation, which, if passed, will declare large areas of pristine Amazon rainforest off limits to drilling and mining projects—a clear showdown between Big Oil and corporate mining interests and the...
Auteur: Ojo Público (Perú)
“Ceses laborales en cadena de comida rápida, minera y universidad del grupo Hochschild” – 15 de julio de 2020...
Auteur: Max Walden, ABC News
"Rubber gloves entering Australia from Malaysia could be linked to forced labour, with US restricting imports", 21 July 2020...
- Egalement dans: Malaysia: Medical glove manufacturers see surge in orders due to COVID-19, amid forced labour concerns Malaysia: Top Glove denies migrant workers producing PPE are exposed to abusive labour practices & COVID-19 risk; Incl. responses from auditing firms
- Domaines à la loupe: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak Establishing a Modern Slavery Act in Australia
- Entreprises concernées: Top Glove