COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak
Since late 2019, an outbreak of the viral disease COVID-19 (commonly referred to as Coronavirus) - first identified in Wuhan, China - has spread across the globe, impacting hundreds of thousands of people. On 11 March 2020, the World Health Organization declared the outbreak had reached the level of a global pandemic.
Besides the health implications of the disease, which has a mortality rate in excess of 3% according to the World Health Organization, the outbreak has also been accompanied by waves of misinformation, fears regarding increased government surveillance, factory shutdowns as disruption ripples back up supply chains and fears for the protection of gig economy workers. The International Labour Organization initially estimated that up to 25 million jobs could be lost worldwide due to the pandemic, pushing millions of people into unemployment, underemployment and working poverty. It has since revised its estimate to 195 million job losses globally.
This In Depth Area will be updated with the latest news on the implications of the outbreak for business and human rights. Based on emerging themes of the crisis, we will also update the below sub-sections of this In Depth Area as the situation continues to unfold.
Domaines à la loupe
Les domaines à la loupe suivants sont disponibles dans d'autres langues
- 📄 COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Government & business response [English]
- 📄 COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Supply chain workers [English]
- 📄 COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Migrant workers [English]
- 📄 COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Human rights defenders & civic freedoms [English]
- 📄 COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak: Surveillance, censorship & privacy [English]
Histoires et éléments mentionnés dans ce domaine à la loupe
Auteur: China Labour Bulletin (Hong Kong)
“Worker protests on the rise in June as wage arrears proliferate”, 15 July 2020...
- Egalement dans: Impacts of COVID-19 on supply chain workers in the electronics sector
- Domaines à la loupe: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak COVID-19 and workers in food and beverage supply chains
- Entreprises concernées: Fujifilm Holdings Corporation (formerly Fuji Photo Film)
Auteur: Modern Democracy
14 July 2020...
- Domaines à la loupe: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak
Auteur: E-Consulta (México)
"Minera Autlán, cuna de 84 casos activos de Covid en Teziutlán", 15 de julio de 2020...
- Domaines à la loupe: Brote de COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Brote de COVID-19 (Coronavirus): respuesta gubernamental y de las empresas
- Entreprises concernées: Minera Autlán (part of Grupo Ferrominero GFM)
Auteur: Maxim Edwards, Global Voices (Netherlands)
Fruit picking in a pandemic: Europe's precarious migrant workers, 14 July 2020...
Auteur: Moushumi Das Gupta, The Print
"Illegal to increase factory work hours from 8 to 12 — parliamentary panel to labour ministry", 20 July 2020...
Auteur: Ben Doherty, The Guardian
"'Job-killer of the century': economies of Pacific islands face collapse over Covid-19", 10 July 2020...