Related stories and components
Civil society faces increasing difficulty in performing role 'effectively', report on 5 EU countries finds; highlights link to social & labour rights
Civil society in five EU countries say they face increasing difficulty in carrying out their role effectively due to 'insufficient meaningful participation' in decision-making processes, and claim national authorities do not sufficiently prioritise the...
Commentary: Joint statement on rights in cyberspace does not adequately ensure protections for rights to expression & privacy
Author: Rebecca Mackinnon, Ranking Digital Rights
"What should governments do?", 26 September 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
UN Human Rights Office documents growing reprisals against civil society for cooperating with United Nations
Author: Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
"Human rights: Reported reprisals on the rise, says UN", 19 Sep 2019...
Verisk Maplecroft's Human Rights Outlook 2019 says risks spread for businesses & civil society as more countries embrace authoritarian tactics
Author: Verisk Maplecroft
"‘Strongmen’ regimes lead charge against freedom of speech and privacy: Human Rights Outlook 2019", 07 Aug 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on freedom of association Latest news on human rights defenders Latest news on modern slavery & forced labour Latest news on natural resources Latest news on Pacific Business & Human Rights Technology and Human Rights Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: AngloGold Ashanti BHP Billiton Yamana Gold
NGOs aim to strengthen accountability requirements of export credit agencies often investing in projects with social & environmental risks in Central & Eastern Europe
Author: CEE Bankwatch Network
"The secret life of export credit agencies", 01 August 2019...
Author: David Cruz, Asociación Ambiente y Sociedad (Colombia)
[Excerpt translation from Spanish provided by Business and Human Rights Resource Centre]...
- Related stories: Latin America: According to analysts, new commercial agreements with China would pose an excessive indebtment for governments in the region
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas
Author: Open For Business (USA)
"Channels of Influence: How Companies Can Promote LGBT+ Inclusive Societies", Mar 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders
- Related companies: Accenture adidas Alibaba.com Amazon.com American Express AT&T Barclays Best Buy BlackRock Brunswick Burberry Danone Deutsche Bank Diageo eBay EY (Ernst & Young) Facebook Godrej & Boyce Google (part of Alphabet) H&M Huawei Technologies IBM Inditex Infosys KPMG LinkedIn (part of Microsoft) Marriott MasterCard McKinsey Microsoft MTN Nokia PayPal (part of eBay) PricewaterhouseCoopers Safaricom Shell Standard Chartered Starbucks Tesco The Boston Consulting Group (BCG) Unilever Virgin Group Walmart Woolworths Group
Author: International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH)
On what criteria should investment decisions be made? How should states rank when it comes to non-financial information? What indicators should be used? The objective of the present study is to establish a methodology and classification system that...
On 4 February 2019, a Hungarian court sentenced Magyar Aluminium company officials to up to 2.5 years in prison for one of the country's worst environmental disasters that left ten people dead and over 200 injured when a ruptured reservoir wall at an...