Francophone Research Intern
Business & Human Rights Resource Centre is seeking an enthusiastic, reliable and well-organised Francophone Research Intern to work with our small Francophone team. This is an unpaid part-time internship opportunity for applicants currently enrolled at university and/or that should complete an internship as part of their studies.
- Period: Minimum commitment of 10 hours a week, for at least 4 months if possible, starting in January 2023.
- Preferred location: Due to COVID-19 restrictions, this is a remote position in which the intern works from their home or university.
- Closing Date: 30 November 2022
- To Apply: Complete and return this application form via our jobs portal. Kindly note that the application form is required; we will not accept CVs. If you need any additional support, please reach out to Giulia Vinzi at [email protected]
Business & Human Rights Resource Centre is an international NGO that tracks the human rights impacts (positive & negative) of over 10,000 companies worldwide. We seek responses from companies when concerns are raised by civil society. The response rate is over 80% globally. The Resource Centre has offices in London, New York and Washington DC, and a global network of Regional Researchers. The Resource Centre is a non-profit organisation, and does not accept funding from companies.
The Resource Centre’s francophone team seeks to empower advocates and strengthen accountability by highlighting companies’ positive and negative impacts on human rights in French. We update our French website daily with information and resources from around the world to end corporate impunity for human rights abuses, with a focus on francophone Africa and Europe.
- Online research and inputs: find relevant news, commentaries, reports about allegations of human rights abuses by companies or positive corporate initiatives supporting human rights, especially in francophone Africa and Europe; compose abstracts; categorise articles; create and update information on the website, including broken links.
- Company research: support our company response mechanism by identifying relevant contacts within a company to give them the opportunity to publicly respond to serious allegations raised in reports and/or news items.
- Publications: draft the French Monthly Update; update the French website regularly.
- Participate in (virtual) meetings, including fortnightly Global Team meetings with all staff and Regional R
- Additional tasks: you may also be asked to assist the Resource Centre with other tasks, such as fundraising support, liaising with relevant organisations etc.
Please note that this internship is not academically oriented, and does not involve extensive analysis or writing. Rather, it is a practical internship focused on bringing global attention to company conduct affecting people and communities, with the aim of promoting respect for human rights.
Research & analytical skills:
- Ability to carry out general research, including online and to summarise information clearly, objectively and succinctly.
- Demonstrated academic or professional experience carrying out research and analysing information.
Commitment to human rights: Interest in and commitment to promoting human rights.
Data input capacity: Ability and willingness to do large amount of routine data input on a daily basis to update the website.
- Excellent French language skills (reading/writing/speaking). The applicant must be able to communicate in French like a native speaker with a command of the language’s nuances.
- Fluency in English.
- Good working knowledge of other languages used by the Resource Centre is a plus.
Initiative: Ability to use own initiative and to work independently as part of a small team. Motivated by achieving results and completing tasks.
We reserve the right to close a position before the deadline in case of a high volume of applications or a change in the organisation’s priorities.
To Apply: Complete and return this application form via our jobs portal. Kindly note that the application form is required; we will not accept CVs. If you need any additional support, please reach out to Giulia Vinzi at [email protected]