NEXT Code of Practice – Syrian Refugee Action Plan for Turkey
This Action Plan was developed in order to provide guidance to suppliers and factories in the event that Syrian refugees are found working on site during a NEXT Code of Practice audit. It is meant as an interim measure prior to the issuing of legislation by the Turkish Government and is not meant as an exhaustive list of actions.
1. Review and verify the authenticity of ALL employees’ ID cards.
2. Collate a full list of ALL employees, detailing name, department, ID card number, date of birth, date of joining.
3. Maintain a list of all young workers (aged 15-18). Young Syrian workers must be given equal treatment to young Turkish workers.
4. Keep up to date on any changes to relevant legislation via Ministry of Labour or Directorate of Migration.
5. Support Syrian workers in official registration e.g. at local police station.
6. Ensure that Syrian workers are afforded equal treatment to other employees and are provided with at least Gross National Minimum Wage, Overtime Premium, weekly rest day, written confirmation of conditions of employment (in worker’s own language).
7. Provide Health & Safety information / training in workers’ own language.
8. Provide details of NGOs to Syrian workers – ASAM (Association for Solidarity with Asylum Seekers and Migrants) and HRDF (Human Resources Development Foundation).
9. Document all actions taken, including wage payments and receipts.
10. Maintain copies of ID cards for ALL workers. Original documents must not be retained.
1. Expel any Syrian workers from the factory.
2. Threaten the workers or their families or obstruct the progress of remediation.
3. Hire any workers who do not have correct work permits.
4. Produce any falsified records.
5. Limit access to reasonably requested documents or records.