作者: Tyler Giannini & Susan Farbstein, Human Rights @Harvard Law
This week, the International Human Rights Clinic, along with co-counsel, filed a petition on behalf of plaintiffs for panel rehearing or rehearing en banc to review the U.S. Second Circuit Court of Appeal’s decision in Balintulo v. Daimler AG, which is...
作者: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
Welcome to the 10th issue of the Corporate Legal Accountability Quarterly Bulletin. To assist all those following corporate legal accountability issues, we send this bulletin to highlight key developments, new cases profiled on our site, updates to...
- 另見: Abu Ghraib lawsuits against CACI, Titan (now L-3) African Barrick Gold lawsuit (re Tanzania) Apartheid reparations lawsuits (re So. Africa) COMILOG lawsuit (re Gabon) Corporate Legal Accountability Quarterly Bulletin – Issue 10, Sep 2013 Daimler lawsuit (re Argentina) Danzer Group & SIFORCO lawsuits (re Dem. Rep. Congo) Drummond lawsuits (re Colombia) Ford lawsuit (re Argentina) Hudbay Minerals lawsuits (re Guatemala) KBR lawsuit (re human trafficking in Iraq) Kivalina lawsuit (re global warming) Nestlé lawsuit (re Colombia) PA Child Care lawsuits (re "kids for cash" scandal) Qosmos investigation (re Syria) Rio Tinto lawsuit (re Papua New Guinea) Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) Shell lawsuit (re oil pollution in Nigeria) SNCF lawsuits (re Holocaust) Texaco/Chevron lawsuits (re Ecuador) Thomson Safaris lawsuit (re Maasai in Tanzania) Total lawsuit in Belgium (re Myanmar) Union Carbide/Dow lawsuit (re Bhopal) US Deepwater Horizon explosion & oil spill lawsuits Vedanta Resources lawsuit (re Dongria Kondh in Orissa) Veolia & Alstom lawsuit (re Jerusalem rail project) Walmart lawsuit (re gender discrimination in USA) 顯示更多顯示較少
- 深度追蹤: Corporate Legal Accountability Quarterly Update Latest Legal News Latest News on Pacific Business & Human Rights
- 相關企業: African Barrick Gold (now Acacia) Alstom BP CACI Chevron Coca-Cola Compagnie Minière de l'Ogooué (COMILOG) (part of ERAMET) Daimler DaimlerChrysler (now Daimler) Danzer Dow Chemical Drummond ERAMET ExxonMobil Ford Hudbay Minerals KBR Mercedes-Benz (part of Daimler) Nestlé Qosmos Rio Tinto Royal Bank of Scotland Shell SNCF (Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer) Texaco (part of Chevron) Total Union Carbide (part of Dow) Vedanta Resources Veolia (formerly Vivendi Environnement) Veolia Transport (now Transdev) Walmart
作者: Mia Swart, BDlive (So. Africa)
On [21 August], the Second Circuit Court of Appeal in New York dismissed the apartheid lawsuit…From a procedural point of view, it came as no surprise. The case nevertheless was a huge setback for human rights law and for the international right to...
作者: Michael D. Goldhaber, in Litigation Daily (USA)
For a zombie doctrine, alien tort had a lively late summer. [In August]…U.S. judges handed down no fewer than five post-Kiobel rulings. And although alien tort plaintiffs see four rays of hope, their most ambitious claim of all took a stake through the...
作者: Brendan Pierson, New York Law Journal
Three companies cannot be held liable in the United States for racial discrimination and violence in apartheid-era South Africa now that the U.S. Supreme Court has limited the use of the Alien Tort Statute, a federal appeals court has ruled. A...
- 另見: Apartheid reparations lawsuits (re So. Africa) Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) US Court of Appeals rules it lacks jurisdiction in lawsuit against Daimler, Ford & IBM over alleged racial discrimination & violence during apartheid in So. Africa 顯示更多顯示較少
- 深度追蹤: Latest Legal News
- 相關企業: Daimler Ford IBM Shell
作者: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
[Business & Human Rights Resource Centre case profile for lawsuit against 20 banks and corporations regarding reparations for alleged complicity of the defendants in abuses committed by the South African Apartheid regime.]
- 另見: US federal court dismisses apartheid claims against Daimler & Rheinmetall; court declines to dismiss claims against Ford & IBM
- 相關企業: Al Jazeera Anglo American Bank of America Barclays BP Caltex Chevron Citigroup Coca-Cola Colgate-Palmolive Commerzbank Crédit Agricole Crédit Lyonnais (part of Crédit Agricole) Credit Suisse Daimler DaimlerChrysler (now Daimler) De Beers (part of Anglo American) Deutsche Bank Dow Chemical Dresdner Bank (part of Allianz) DuPont ExxonMobil Fluor Ford Fujitsu GE (see General Electric) General Motors Holcim (part of LafargeHolcim) Honeywell HP (Hewlett-Packard) IBM Isuzu JPMorgan Chase NatWest (part of Royal Bank of Scotland) Nestlé Novartis Rheinmetall Rio Tinto Royal Bank of Scotland Schindler Shell Standard Chartered Total UBS Unisys Volkswagen Xerox
作者: Mail & Guardian [South Africa]
[The] violence witnessed in the mining sector this year stems from "underlying social problems that remain", says Anglo American's CEO Cynthia Carroll. "The violence...has its seeds in the legacy of apartheid...The curse of unemployment means that mine...
作者: [opinion] Desmond Tutu, in USA Today
...[On] Monday,...the U.S. Supreme Court will consider a case that could severely weaken a key legal mechanism...for survivors of abuses such as those that fueled apartheid...Shell Oil is set to argue...that this law cannot be used to hold it...
作者: Professor John Ruggie, Harvard Univ., former UN Special Representative on business & human rights
On October 1, 2012, the United States Supreme Court will rehear arguments in a landmark case...Kiobel v. Royal Dutch Petroleum...brought by Nigerian plaintiffs against Shell...alleging that the company aided and abetted the Nigerian military...
- 另見: Apartheid reparations lawsuits (re So. Africa) ExxonMobil lawsuit (re Aceh) John Ruggie asks whether Shell, in its arguments in Kiobel lawsuit in USA re alleged abuses in Nigeria, should "aim to destroy an entire edifice for redressing gross violations" Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) Talisman lawsuit (re Sudan) Unocal lawsuit (re Myanmar) 顯示更多顯示較少
- 深度追蹤: Judicial remedies Latest Legal News UN Secretary-General's Special Representative on business & human rights
- 相關企業: Chevron ExxonMobil Shell Talisman (part of Repsol) Total Unocal (part of Chevron)
作者: Emily Dugan, Independent [UK]
A British gold mining firm is to appear in the High Court next month, accused of exposing workers in South Africa to life-threatening diseases caused by dust in the mines. More than a thousand former miners from South Africa are bringing a case against...