Aditya Birla Group
Headquarters in India
Author: Karmayog.org [India]
The Karmayog Corporate Social Responsibility Study and Ratings of Indian Companies was undertaken to explore and understand the role that corporates are playing...in finding meaningful solutions to the problems facing India today...Karmayog undertook....
- Related stories: India: Survey of social & environmental activities & reporting by India's 1000 largest companies finds much room for improvement
- Related companies: ACC Limited (Associated Cement Companies) Aditya Birla Group Ballarpur Industries Canara Bank Essar Group HDFC ICICI Infosys Mahindra & Mahindra Reliance Industries Tata Consultancy Services (part of Tata Group) Tata Group Tata Iron and Steel (TISCO) (part of Tata Group) Titan Industries (joint venture Tata Group & Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation) Yes Bank
Author: Suman Layak, Kushan Mitra & N. Madhavan, Business Today [India]
[Article describes protests and resistance against companies over land use in India, including Tata, Reliance, ArcelorMittal, POSCO, Industrial Development Corporation of Orissa (IDCO), Aditya Birla, Sterlite Industries (part of Vedanta). Includes...
Author: Save the Children
In this mapping, you will find examples of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiatives within the context of children's issues in India, Nepal and Bangladesh. The mapping highlights that children's issues often do not get sufficient...
Alcan announced today its intention to sell its 45% interest in India's Utkal Alumina International Limited (Utkal)...Alcan has already taken initial steps leading to the sale process and expects completion during the second quarter of 2007.....
Author: Andy Hoffman, Globe and Mail [Canada]
Alcan Inc. is pulling out of a controversial project in India, suggesting plans for a bauxite mine and alumina refinery are too risky for the Montreal company, considering its lack of control over the venture...The Utkal project has been marred by...
[PDF] India: Orissa, Kashipur - Utkal Bauxite & Alumina Project: Human Rights and Environmental Impacts
Author: Robert Goodland, former director of the World Bank's Environment Department
This publication reviews environmental and social aspects of plans by Utkal Alumina Industries Ltd to mine bauxite and refine it to more than 8 million tons of alumina annually, by means of a $1 billion joint venture between Canada’s Alcan and...
- Related stories: Orissa, India: "Utkal Bauxite & Alumina Project: Human Rights and Environmental Impacts" by former World Bank environmental adviser Robert Goodland (Utkal is joint venture Alcan & Hindalco)
- Related in-depth areas: Displacement - an introduction
- Related companies: Aditya Birla Group Alcan (now Rio Tinto Alcan) BHP Billiton Hindalco (part of Aditya Birla Group) Norsk Hydro (now part of Statoil) Vedanta Resources
Author: Rajiv Tikoo, Financial Express [India]
When the United Nations Global Compact delisted 203 “inactive” companies for failing to submit their communication on progress earlier this month, it surprised by numbers as well as names. The delisted companies comprised leading Indian companies like...
- Related companies: ACC Limited (Associated Cement Companies) Aditya Birla Group Hindalco (part of Aditya Birla Group) Hindustan Unilever Mahindra & Mahindra ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation) Tata Group Tata Iron and Steel (TISCO) (part of Tata Group) Titan Industries (joint venture Tata Group & Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation)
Among other amenities, the [Utkal] Project includes a residential worker’s community, new school, new medical and water treatment facilities... [Alcan] believes that given its recognized standards in the area of sustainability, its participation would...
- Related stories: Indian People's Tribunal raises serious human rights & environmental concerns about proposed Uktal bauxite mine in Orissa (joint venture Hindalco & Alcan) Orissa, India: "Utkal Bauxite & Alumina Project: Human Rights and Environmental Impacts" by former World Bank environmental adviser Robert Goodland (Utkal is joint venture Alcan & Hindalco)
- Related companies: Aditya Birla Group Alcan (now Rio Tinto Alcan) Hindalco (part of Aditya Birla Group)