Antofagasta website: www.antofagasta.co.uk
This report aims at exploring contemporary mining conflicts in the context of the sustainable development and environmental justice...[T]he project and type of conflict are characterized in a nutshell, with some basic factual background that describe...
- Related stories: EJOLT report explores mining conflicts in context of sustainable development & environmental justice
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News Latest news on conflict & peace
- Related companies: AngloGold Ashanti Antofagasta Areva Barrick Gold Buenaventura China Railway Construction Codelco Copper Mesa Mining Corriente Resources Dundee Precious Metals DuPont Eco Oro Minerals (formerly Greystar Resources) Ecuacorriente (part of Corriente Resources) Entre Mares (part of Goldcorp) Enusa Glamis Gold (part of Goldcorp) Goldcorp Greystar Resources Grupo México Inmet Mining Marubeni Meridian Gold Minera San Xavier (part of New Gold) Mitsubishi Group Mitsubishi Materials (part of Mitsubishi Group) Mitsui Montana Exploradora (part of Goldcorp) New Gold Newmont Nippon Mining Pacific Rim Mining Paladin Energy Placer Dome (part of Barrick Gold) Rio Tinto Rössing Uranium Southern Copper (part of Grupo México) Tongling Nonferrous Metals Yamana Gold
Author: Standard Life Investments
Foreword by James Featherby...Investors regularly evaluate...a variety of risks that could impact on their investments, including the risks that social and environmental issues pose to secure, stable and safe operations. Human rights issues have been...
- Related stories: Standard Life Investments issues report on implementation of UN Guiding Principles on business & human rights in extractives sector
- Related companies: Anglo American Antofagasta BG Group BHP Billiton BP Cairn Energy Eni OMV Randgold Repsol YPF Rio Tinto Shell Statoil Total Tullow Oil Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)
Author: Leo Hickman, Fiona Harvey, Guardian [UK]
Mining and commodities giant Glencore has suffered dozens of fatalities and been subject to six-figure fines for environmental breaches, the company revealed...Glencore and its majority-owned operations suffered 56 fatalities in the 2008-10 period...
- Related stories: Glencore reveals 56 fatalities, 6-figure environmental fines during 2008-10 - NGO says firm is well below sector leaders in safety, Glencore “concerned” about deaths
- Related companies: Anglo American Antofagasta ENRC Glencore (now Glencore Xstrata) Kazakhmys Vedanta Resources Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)
Author: Clara Ferreira-Marques, Bloomberg
Aviva, small but vocal shareholder in Vedanta, said...it would again withhold support for three key resolutions at Vedanta's annual general meeting...A storm last year centring on Vedanta's planned mine in India's eastern Orissa state forced the...
Author: Simon Goodley, Guardian (UK)
A government inquiry headed by former trade minister Lord Davies is calling on the country's 350 largest public companies to ensure that 25% of their directors are female by 2015. However, the latest figures show that 18 FTSE 100 firms have no women...
- Related stories: UK: Govt. committee recommends headhunters adopt code of conduct to raise number of women on boards, ask chairmen not to use agencies who do not publish figures on gender distribution
- Related companies: African Barrick Gold Aggreko AMEC Antofagasta Associated British Foods Autonomy (part of HP) Bunzl Compañía Fresnillo Essar Energy (part of Essar Group) Essar Group Hammerson International Power Invensys Kazakhmys Randgold Vedanta Resources Weir Group Wolseley Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)
Author: Radio Universidad de Chile
Una caravana de 300 personas llegó ayer al mediodía hasta Illapel para unirse a la marcha que se realizó en esta ciudad. Desde el 27 de septiembre pasado, 3 mujeres y 8 hombres...han tomado la decisión extrema de realizar una huelga de hambre...Ellos,...
Author: Marta Miranda and Amanda Sauer, World Resource Institute [USA]
Water issues are becoming a considerable factor affecting growth and profitability of companies in many regions of the world. This paper outlines potential water-related risks facing the mining industry and highlights important gaps in water-related...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on Pacific Business & Human Rights
- Related companies: Aditya Birla Group Anglo American Anglo Platinum (part of Anglo American) AngloGold Ashanti Antofagasta Barrick Gold BHP Billiton Compañia de Minas Buenaventura Compañía Fresnillo ERAMET Evraz Freeport-McMoRan Gold Fields Goldcorp (now Newmont Goldcorp) Grupo México Hindalco (part of Aditya Birla Group) Impala Platinum Kazakhmys Kinross Gold Kumba Iron Ore Newcrest Newmont Goldcorp Norilsk Nickel Rio Tinto Shandong Gold Group Southern Copper (part of Grupo México) Sterlite Industries (part of Vedanta Resources) Teck Resources Vale Vedanta Resources Western Mining Xstrata (part of Glencore) Yamana Gold Zijin
Author: Tim Webb, Observer [UK]
Until recently, the vast majority of ethical investors have shunned mining companies because of the damaging environmental, social and health and safety impact they have inflicted...Miners operating in developing countries in particular can come under...