Antofagasta website: www.antofagasta.co.uk
Author: Leo Hickman, Fiona Harvey, Guardian [UK]
Mining and commodities giant Glencore has suffered dozens of fatalities and been subject to six-figure fines for environmental breaches, the company revealed...Glencore and its majority-owned operations suffered 56 fatalities in the 2008-10 period...
- Related stories: Glencore reveals 56 fatalities, 6-figure environmental fines during 2008-10 - NGO says firm is well below sector leaders in safety, Glencore “concerned” about deaths
- Related companies: Anglo American Antofagasta ENRC Glencore (now Glencore Xstrata) Kazakhmys Vedanta Resources Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)
Author: Clara Ferreira-Marques, Bloomberg
Aviva, small but vocal shareholder in Vedanta, said...it would again withhold support for three key resolutions at Vedanta's annual general meeting...A storm last year centring on Vedanta's planned mine in India's eastern Orissa state forced the...
Author: Simon Goodley, Guardian (UK)
A government inquiry headed by former trade minister Lord Davies is calling on the country's 350 largest public companies to ensure that 25% of their directors are female by 2015. However, the latest figures show that 18 FTSE 100 firms have no women...
- Related stories: UK: Govt. committee recommends headhunters adopt code of conduct to raise number of women on boards, ask chairmen not to use agencies who do not publish figures on gender distribution
- Related companies: African Barrick Gold Aggreko AMEC Antofagasta Associated British Foods Autonomy (part of HP) Bunzl Compañía Fresnillo Essar Energy (part of Essar Group) Essar Group Hammerson International Power Invensys Kazakhmys Randgold Vedanta Resources Weir Group Wolseley Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)
Author: Radio Universidad de Chile
Una caravana de 300 personas llegó ayer al mediodía hasta Illapel para unirse a la marcha que se realizó en esta ciudad. Desde el 27 de septiembre pasado, 3 mujeres y 8 hombres...han tomado la decisión extrema de realizar una huelga de hambre...Ellos,...
Author: Marta Miranda and Amanda Sauer, World Resource Institute [USA]
Water issues are becoming a considerable factor affecting growth and profitability of companies in many regions of the world. This paper outlines potential water-related risks facing the mining industry and highlights important gaps in water-related...
- Related companies: Aditya Birla Group Anglo American Anglo Platinum (part of Anglo American) AngloGold Ashanti Antofagasta Barrick Gold BHP Billiton Buenaventura Compañía Fresnillo ERAMET Evraz Freeport-McMoRan Gold Fields Goldcorp Grupo México Hindalco (part of Aditya Birla Group) Impala Platinum Kazakhmys Kinross Gold Kumba Iron Ore Newcrest Newmont Norilsk Nickel Rio Tinto Shandong Gold Group Southern Copper (part of Grupo México) Sterlite Industries (part of Vedanta Resources) Teck Resources Vale Vedanta Resources Western Mining Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata) Yamana Gold Zijin
Author: Tim Webb, Observer [UK]
Until recently, the vast majority of ethical investors have shunned mining companies because of the damaging environmental, social and health and safety impact they have inflicted...Miners operating in developing countries in particular can come under...
Author: Rory Sullivan, Insight Investment [UK]
In 2007, we initiated a project to assess how companies are managing their greenhouse gas emissions...In total, we assessed 125 companies, covering the FTSE100...and large cap European stocks…47 of the 125 companies have stabilised or reduced their...
- Related companies: 3i Alliance & Leicester Allianz Anglo American Antofagasta Associated British Foods AstraZeneca Aviva AXA BAE Systems Barclays BBVA BG Group BHP Billiton BNP Paribas BP British Airways British American Tobacco British Land British Sky Broadcasting BT Cable and Wireless Cadbury Schweppes (now Cadbury) Carnival Centrica Crédit Agricole Credit Suisse Daily Mail and General Trust Daimler Deutsche Bank Deutsche Telekom Diageo Drax E.ON EDF Enel Eni Enterprise Inns France Telecom (now Orange) Friends Provident GlaxoSmithKline Hammerson HBOS (part of Lloyds) Home Retail Group HSBC ICAP ICI Imperial Tobacco ING InterContinental Hotels International Power Invesco ITV Johnson Matthey Kazakhmys Kelda Kingfisher L'Oreal Land Securities Legal & General Lloyds TSB Lonmin Man Group Marks & Spencer Mitchells & Butlers Morrisons National Grid Nestlé Next Nokia Northern Rock Novartis Old Mutual Pearson Persimmon Prudential plc Reckitt Benckiser Reed Elsevier Group Reuters (part of Thomson Reuters) Rexam Rio Tinto Roche Rolls-Royce plc Royal Bank of Scotland SABMiller Sage Sainsbury Sanofi-Aventis Santander Schroders Scottish and Southern Energy Severn Trent Shell Shire Siemens Smith & Nephew Smiths Group Société Générale Standard Chartered Standard Life Tate & Lyle Telefónica Tesco Total UBS Unicredito Italiano (now Unicredit) Unilever United Utilities Vedanta Resources Vodafone Whitbread Wolseley WPP Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata) Yell Group
[PDF] full report: "World Investment Report - Transnational Corporations, Extractive Industries and Development"
Author: UN Conference on Trade & Development (UNCTAD)
The World Investment Report 2007 focuses on the role of transnational corporations in extractive industries... Transnational corporations can bring in the finance and management skills [poor] economies need... But as we know, the extraction of natural...
- Related stories: UNCTAD 2007 World Investment Report focuses on extractive firms' impacts on development
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese Investment Overseas Latin American region Natural Resources
- Related companies: A.P. Moller - Maersk Alrosa (Almazy Rossii Sakha) Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Antofagasta Barrick Gold BCL BHP Billiton BP Chevron China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) CNOOC (China National Offshore Oil Corporation) Codelco Companhia Vale do Rio Doce (now Vale) ConocoPhillips De Beers Debswana (joint venture De Beers & Botswana Govt.) Eni ExxonMobil Freeport-McMoRan Gazprom Glencore Gold Fields Grupo México Harmony Gold Impala Platinum Inco (part of Companhia Vale do Rio Doce) INPEX Kelian Equatorial Mining (part of Rio Tinto) Lukoil Newmont Norilsk Nickel Norsk Hydro (now part of Statoil) ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation) Petrobras PetroChina Petronas Phelps Dodge (part of Freeport-McMoRan) Repsol YPF Rio Tinto Shell Sinopec Sonatrach Statoil Tatneft Teck Resources Texaco (part of Chevron) Total Xstrata (now part of Glencore)