Headquarters in USA
New report looks at reporting progress under the UK Modern Slavery Act; finds need for better enforcement
Author: Ergon Associates
"Modern slavery reporting: Is there evidence of progress?", October 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on modern slavery & forced labour
- Related companies: Aldi Alphabet Apple ASOS Associated British Foods Balfour Beatty British American Tobacco Co-operative Group Google (part of Alphabet) Intel InterContinental Hotels John Lewis Partnership Marks & Spencer Marshalls Morrisons Nestlé Primark (part of Associated British Foods) Rio Tinto Sainsbury's Standard Chartered Ted Baker Tesco TSB Walgreen Whistles
Access Now urges action by 22 internet, mobile & telco cos., based on 2018 Corporate Accountability Index
Author: Access Now
In September 2018, Access Now wrote to the heads of 22 internet, mobile and telecommunications companies, outlining specific steps they can take to improve their disclosures about the policy and practices they use to safeguard digital rights. The le...
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: América Movil Apple AT&T Axiata Baidu Bharti Airtel Etisalat Facebook Google (part of Alphabet) Kakao Corp Mail.ru Microsoft MTN Oath Inc (formerly Yahoo! & AOL (part of Verizon)) Ooredoo Orange Samsung Telefónica Tencent Twitter Vodafone Yandex
Author: Tim Bradshaw, Financial Times
"Google confirms 'Project Dragonfly' for China," 26 September 2018...
On 4 January 2018, Apple filed a summon for urgent proceedings against the Association for the Taxation of Financial Transactions and Aid to Citizens (Attac) before a Paris court over sit-ins in some of the company’s French store in Paris on 2 December...
BSR launches human rights-based blueprint for responsible business practice with regard to artificial intelligence
BSR has published three papers describing a human rights-based blueprint for responsible business practice with regard to AI within and beyond the technology sector. These papers explore the importance of a rights-based approach for governing and...
New guidance for companies encourages action to support civic freedoms & human rights defenders & explores opportunities for engagement
Author: Bennett Freeman with Sif Thorgeirsson, Adele Barzelay & Brooks Reed
"Shared space under pressure: Business support for civic freedoms and human rights defenders," 29 August 2018 ...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders Positive company initiatives Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: "S Group" adidas ADM (see Archer Daniels Midland) Alphabet Anglo American Apple Archer Daniels Midland Asia Pulp & Paper (part of Sinar Mas) Associated British Foods Barrick Gold Ben & Jerry's (part of Unilever) Bunge Cargill Cartier (part of Richemont) Chevron Chobani Cisco Systems Coca-Cola DLA Piper Eileen Fisher ExxonMobil Facebook FIFA General Electric Golden Agri-Resources Google (part of Alphabet) Grupo Hame IOI Group Johnson & Johnson Lyft McKinsey Microsoft Natural Fruit Nestlé Newmont Nike Oath Inc (formerly Yahoo! & AOL (part of Verizon)) PepsiCo Primark (part of Associated British Foods) Reforestación de Palma del Petén (Repsa) (part of Grupo Hame) Richemont Salesforce.com Shell Siemens Sinar Mas Group Starbucks Stonyfield Farm Telenor Tiffany Uber Unilever Vedanta Resources Verizon Volaris Websense Wilmar International
Commentary: Social investing is on the rise, yet measuring impact often fails to incl. human rights expertise
Author: David Kinley, Ethical Corporation
"‘Can booming social bond market really turn finance to the good side?’", 28 June 2018...
“¿Qué hacen las empresas de tecnología para evitar el trabajo forzado en sus cadenas de valor?”, 21 de junio de 2018...
Investors representing $1.2 trillion issue statement calling on companies to comply with conflict minerals reporting requirements in Dodd-Frank Act
On June 11, 2018, 47 institutional investors representing $1.2 trillion in assets issued a statement cautioning companies to continue to comply with the conflict minerals reporting requirements legislated in section 1502 of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street...