Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in Canada
Supporter of Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
Tanzania: NGO urges Barrick Gold to address alleged human rights issues at subsidiary's mine ahead of proposed merger with Randgold, company responds
Rights and Accountability in Development has written to top executives at Barrick Gold and Randgold Resources ahead of the merger between the two companies, warning them about human rights abuses at Acacia Mining’s North Mara Gold Mine in Tanzania....
Author: Jarni Blakkarly, SBS
"PNG landowners battle against one of the world's biggest gold miners", 1 October 2018...
"It is becoming a systematic problem for Barrick Gold Corp for almost two decades in denying allegations of human and environment rights abuses. The reports as stated in the Dirty Profit 6 are all true. Other similar reports of human and environment...
"The ATA reiterates many of the inaccurate allegations raised in Facing Finance’s report about the Porgera Joint Venture (PJV)1 on which Barrick has already provided a detailed response in July 2018. As such, rather than repeat our position on these...
- Related stories: Range of human rights abuses by extractive companies allegedly tied to European financial institutions: companies respond to Facing Finance report
- This is a response from the following companies: Barrick Gold
Tanzania: MiningWatch Canada on alleged shortcomings of Barrick Gold's subsidiary's new operational-level grievance mechanism; company responds
MiningWatch Canada has issued a brief documenting alleged shortcomings of Barrick Gold's new operational-level grievance mechanism. These include lack of capacity of grievants due to low literacy levels and poverty, lack of understanding of the...
"As mining companies become more aware of the rapidly falling costs of renewables, wind and solar are set to become a growing trend in powering mining operations worldwide over the coming years, shows a new report from Fitch Solutions. On the back of...
- Related companies: Barrick Gold CAP Codelco Collahuasi (joint venture of Anglo American, Glencore & Japan Collahuasi Resources, part of Mitsui & Co.) Compania Minera Dayton Cronimet Galaxy Resources Glencore Grupo Antofagasta Minerals (part of Grupo Luksic) Grupo México IamGold Industrias Penoles Mandalay Resources Minera Rafaela Nyrstar Ozkoyuncu Madencilik Rio Tinto Rockwood Lithium (part of Albemarle) Sandfire Resources Shanta Gold SNIM (Societe Nationale Industrielle et Miniere) Vale
Peru: Portal highlights that Volcan and Las Bambas mining projects did not pay but half the price for the water they use in their operations
Author: Red Muqui
Research divulged this morning by the investigation portal [Ojo Público, Public Eye] shows that a group of mining companies have privileged access to water sources. It says that “all of Peru’s drinkable water is in the hands of corporations,...
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas
- Related companies: Barrick Gold China Minmetals Compañia de Minas Buenaventura Grupo México Las Bambas (part of MMG) Minera Yanacocha (joint venture Newmont, Sumitomo & Compañía de Minas Buenaventura) Minerals and Metals Group (MMG) (part of China Minmetals) Newmont Southern Copper (part of Grupo México) Sumitomo Group Volcán Compañía Minera
New guidance for companies encourages action to support civic freedoms & human rights defenders & explores opportunities for engagement
Author: Bennett Freeman with Sif Thorgeirsson, Adele Barzelay & Brooks Reed
"Shared space under pressure: Business support for civic freedoms and human rights defenders," 29 August 2018 ...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders Positive company initiatives Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: "S Group" adidas ADM (see Archer Daniels Midland) Alphabet Anglo American Apple Archer Daniels Midland Asia Pulp & Paper (part of Sinar Mas) Associated British Foods Barrick Gold Ben & Jerry's (part of Unilever) Bunge Cargill Cartier (part of Richemont) Chevron Chobani Cisco Systems Coca-Cola DLA Piper Eileen Fisher ExxonMobil Facebook FIFA General Electric Golden Agri-Resources Google (part of Alphabet) Grupo Hame IOI Group Johnson & Johnson Lyft McKinsey Microsoft Natural Fruit Nestlé Newmont Nike Oath Inc (formerly Yahoo! & AOL (part of Verizon)) PepsiCo Primark (part of Associated British Foods) Reforestación de Palma del Petén (Repsa) (part of Grupo Hame) Richemont Salesforce.com Shell Siemens Sinar Mas Group Starbucks Stonyfield Farm Telenor Tiffany Uber Unilever Vedanta Resources Verizon Volaris Websense Wilmar International
Author: El Masacre (República Dominicana)
“Ministro de Medio Ambiente visita mina de Barrick Pueblo Viejo”, 3 de agosto de 2018...
- Related companies: Barrick Gold