Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in Germany
Author: Joanne Bauer, Columbia Univ.
[T]here is a...pervasive belief in Germany that its social market values...exempt Germany from acceding to the emerging rules on business and human rights. In their minds, Germany is already doing what’s required...[T]he German government remained...
Author: Human Rights Campaign
This year, an historic 304 major businesses…scored 100 percent on HRC’s Corporate Equality Index and the coveted distinction of “Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality.” These companies adopted a full framework of LGBT inclusion in the workplace,...
- Related stories: USA: Human Rights Campaign releases ranking of “best places to work for LGBT equality”
- Related companies: 3M Abercrombie & Fitch Accenture Acerinox Aetna AIG Alcatel-Lucent (part of Nokia) Alcoa Alston & Bird AMC Networks American Airlines American Eagle Outfitters American Express Ameriprise Financial Apple Arent Fox Arnold & Porter AT&T Automatic Data Processing Avon AXA Bain & Company Baker & McKenzie Bank of America Bank of New York (part of BNY Mellon) Barclays Barnes & Noble BASF Best Buy Bingham McCutchen BlackRock Blue Cross BNP Paribas BNY Mellon Boehringer Ingelheim Boeing Booz Allen Hamilton Bristol-Myers Squibb Campbell Soup Capital One Cardinal Cargill Charles Schwab Chevron Chrysler Chubb Group CIGNA Cisco Systems Citigroup Clifford Chance Clorox Coca-Cola Comcast Corning Covington & Burling Credit Suisse Cummins Danaher Darden Restaurants Dechert Dell Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Deutsche Bank Deutsche Telekom Diageo DLA Piper Dorsey & Whitney Dow Chemical DuPont Eastman Kodak eBay Ecolab Edison International Electronic Arts EMC EY (Ernst & Young) Faegre & Benson Fenwick & West Ford Freddie Mac GameStop Gap Genentech General Electric General Mills General Motors Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher Giorgio Armani GlaxoSmithKline Goldman Sachs Google (part of Alphabet) Hartford Financial Services Herman Miller Hilton HP (Hewlett-Packard) HSBC Humana Hyatt IBM Intuit Jenner & Block Johnson & Johnson JPMorgan Chase Kaiser Permanente Kellogg KPMG Kraft Foods (now Kraft Heinz) Land O'Lakes Leo Burnett (part of Publicis) Levi Strauss Lexmark Limited Brands Littler Mendelson Lockheed Martin Marriott Marsh & McLennan MasterCard McDermott Will & Emery McKesson McKinsey Medtronic Merck Metlife MGM Resorts Microsoft Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams Moody's Morgan Stanley Morgan, Lewis & Bockius Morrison & Foerster Nationwide Mutual Insurance Nielsen Nike Nissan Nixon Peabody Nokia Nordstrom Northern Trust Novartis Office Depot Oracle Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe Owens Corning PepsiCo Pfizer Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman PNC Financial Services PricewaterhouseCoopers Procter & Gamble Progressive Insurance Prudential Financial Publicis Qualcomm Raytheon Replacements Ltd. Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi Rockwell Automation Salesforce.com SAP Sears Sempra Energy Sidley Austin Brown & Wood Sodexo Sony Southern California Edison (part of Edison International) Sprint Staples Starcom MediaVest (part of Publicis) Starwood Hotels Sun Life Financial SunTrust Banks Symantec T-Mobile (part of Deutsche Telekom) Target Tech Data Thomson Reuters Time Warner Toronto-Dominion Bank Toyota UBS Unilever Union Bank of California United Continental United Technologies UnitedHealth Group US Bancorp Verizon Viacom Volkswagen Walgreen Walt Disney Wells Fargo Whirlpool White & Case Wyndham Xerox Yahoo!
Author: Sudeep Chakravarti, Livemint.com (India)
Strategic lawsuits against public participation, or SLAPP, is one of several retaliatory mechanisms increasingly used against defenders of human rights…The Resource Centre discusses these and other matters and provides a global situation report in its...
- Related stories: Anvil Mining lawsuit (re Dem. Rep. of Congo) Daimler lawsuit (re Argentina) Danzer Group & SIFORCO lawsuits (re Dem. Rep. Congo) Ford lawsuit (re Argentina) Gold miner silicosis litigation (re So. Africa) Koh Kong sugar plantation lawsuits (re Cambodia) Matanza Riachuelo lawsuit (re Argentina) Shell/BASF lawsuit (re Brazil) Strategic lawsuits against public participation increasingly used by companies to silence human rights defenders, says journalist Union Carbide/Dow lawsuit (re Bhopal) Vedanta Resources lawsuit (re Dongria Kondh in Orissa) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: adidas American Sugar Refining Anvil Mining (part of China Minmetals) BASF China Minmetals Daimler Danzer Dow Chemical Ford Lonmin Shell Tate & Lyle Tate & Lyle Sugars (part of American Sugar Refining) Union Carbide (part of Dow) Vedanta Resources Vinci
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
The goal of the Annual Briefing is to help a wide audience understand what has been happening in different parts of the world. First, it examines global trends in corporate legal accountability such as barriers to accessing judicial remedies;...
- Related stories: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre launches its second annual briefing on corporate legal accountability Strategic lawsuits against public participation increasingly used by companies to silence human rights defenders, says journalist
- Related in-depth areas: Corporate Legal Accountability Annual Briefings Latest Legal News Latest news on Pacific Business & Human Rights
- Related companies: Academi (formerly Blackwater) adidas African Barrick Gold (now Acacia) Alstom American Sugar Refining AMESys (Advanced Middle East Systems, formerly Amesys (part of Bull)) Anvil Mining (part of China Minmetals) Apple Arab Bank Barrick Gold BASF Blackwater Boliden BP CACI Chevron Chiquita Compagnie Minière de l'Ogooué (COMILOG) (part of ERAMET) Daimler Danzer Dow Chemical Drummond ERAMET ExxonMobil Ford Global Horizons Google (part of Alphabet) Hudbay Minerals IBM KBR Kenya Pipeline Company Ko Kong Sugar Lonmin Microsoft Nestlé Paltalk (part of AVM Software) Qosmos Rio Tinto Riwal Shell Signal International SNCF (Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer) Tate & Lyle Tate & Lyle Sugars (part of American Sugar Refining) Trafigura Beheer Vedanta Resources Veolia (formerly Vivendi Environnement) Veolia Transport (now Transdev) Vinci
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
[Business & Human Rights Resource Centre case profile for lawsuit against Shell Brazil and BASF over allegations that workers employed at and living near pesticide plant suffered cancers and other severe health problems as a result of land and...
Author: Compiled by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
Welcome to the 9th issue of the Corporate Legal Accountability Quarterly Bulletin. To assist all those following corporate legal accountability issues, we send this bulletin to highlight key developments, new cases profiled on our site, updates to...
- Related stories: Abu Ghraib lawsuits against CACI, Titan (now L-3) adidas lawsuit (re University of Wisconsin) Agua Mineral Chusmiza lawsuit (re Chile) Areva lawsuit (re discrimination in Niger) BP lawsuit (re Colombia) Chiquita lawsuits (re Colombia) Corporate Legal Accountability Quarterly Bulletin – Issue 9, June 2013 Drummond lawsuits (re Colombia) DynCorp lawsuits (re Colombia & Ecuador) ExxonMobil lawsuit (re Aceh) Hudbay Minerals lawsuits (re Guatemala) Koh Kong sugar plantation lawsuits (re Cambodia) Monterrico Metals lawsuit (re Peru) Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) Shell/BASF lawsuit (re Brazil) Texaco/Chevron lawsuits (re Ecuador) Vedanta Resources lawsuit (re Dongria Kondh in Orissa) Veolia & Alstom lawsuit (re Jerusalem rail project) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Corporate Legal Accountability Quarterly Update Latest Legal News Latest news on conflict & peace Latest news on freedom of association Latest news on Pacific Business & Human Rights
- Related companies: adidas Alstom American Sugar Refining BASF BP CACI Chevron Chiquita Drummond DynCorp ExxonMobil Hudbay Minerals Monterrico Metals (part of Zijin) Orano (formerly Areva) Rio Tinto Shell Tate & Lyle Tate & Lyle Sugars (part of American Sugar Refining) Texaco (part of Chevron) Vedanta Resources Veolia (formerly Vivendi Environnement) Veolia Transport (now Transdev) Zijin
Author: Mark Nordstrom, Senior Labor & Employment Counsel, General Electric
Recent GBI gatherings have taken place in Brazil, Egypt, Kenya and, most recently, China. [As] GBI leadership...[planned] its meeting in Beijing...there was substantial concern about discussing human rights with Chinese businesses and civil society...
Author: UN Conference on Trade and Development
UNCTAD hosted its first Global CSR Retreat…bringing together 27 corporate social responsibility (CSR) professionals from 18 countries for a…peer-to-peer learning event. Participants shared best practices on sustainable business with their peers from...
Author: Peter Murphy, Reuters
Oil producer Shell and German chemical company BASF agreed on Monday to pay compensation that could reach 620 million reais ($316 million) to workers exposed over three decades to toxic chemicals at a Brazil plant, prosecutors said…The companies have...
Author: Associated Press
Shell Brasil SA and BASF SA have offered more than $20 million to settle a class action lawsuit with former workers allegedly contaminated at a pesticide plant in the state of Sao Paulo, Brazil's top labor court said Friday. The court said on its...