British American Tobacco
Headquarters in United Kingdom
Italy: Guardian reports migrants face exploitative working conditions in areas supplying world's largest tobacco manufacturers
Author: Luca Muzi and Lorenzo Tondo, The Guardian (UK)
"'I had pain all over my body': Italy’s tainted tobacco industry", 31 May 2019...
Brazil: British American Tobacco Plc. and Philip Morris International sued in landmark public health case
“In landmark case, Brazil sues top tobacco firms to recover public health costs”, 22nd May 2019...
British American Tobacco accused of depriving developing countries of hundreds of millions of dollars in tax needed to provide people with health services
Author: Rob Davies, Guardian (UK)
"Tobacco firm BAT 'costs developing countries $700m in tax", 30 April 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on tax avoidance
- Related companies: British American Tobacco Nobleza Piccardo (part of British American Tobacco) Souza Cruz (part of British American Tobacco)
UK: Ex-tobacco salesman given free cigarettes as perk of job & suffering from cancer to sue British American Tobacco
Author: Jane Dalton, Independent (UK)
"Tobacco salesman given 1,200 free cigarettes a month has inoperable lung cancer", 25 Apr 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: British American Tobacco Philip Morris International Rothmans, Benson & Hedges (part of Philip Morris International)
Canada: Tobacco companies lose appeal in class action lawsuit by smokers about lack of warning re risks of smoking & ordered to pay CA$17 billion in damages
In 1998, Canadian smokers filed a consolidated lawsuit against the Canadian subsidiaries of British American Tobacco, Philip Morris International and Japan Tobacco International, namely, Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd.; Rothmans, Benson & Hedges Inc. ...
New report looks at reporting progress under the UK Modern Slavery Act; finds need for better enforcement
Author: Ergon Associates
"Modern slavery reporting: Is there evidence of progress?", October 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on modern slavery & forced labour
- Related companies: Aldi Alphabet Apple ASOS Associated British Foods Balfour Beatty British American Tobacco Co-operative Group Google (part of Alphabet) Intel InterContinental Hotels John Lewis Partnership Marks & Spencer Marshalls Morrisons Nestlé Primark (part of Associated British Foods) Rio Tinto Sainsbury's Standard Chartered Ted Baker Tesco TSB Walgreen Whistles
Author: Elisha Otieno, Daily Nation (Kenya)
"Fortunes continue to dwindle for once rich tobacco farmers"...
Investigation reveals rampant child labour in tobacco industry in Indonesia, Malawi & Mexico; includes companies' comments
Author: Sarah Boseley, The Guardian
"Child labour rampant in tobacco industry"...