China International Water & Electric (CWE)
Headquarters in China
Author: Ben Schiller, Open Democracy
[China's] model of international development is of increasing concern to NGOs, international financial institutions and Western companies trying to improve transparency and human rights, and develop “capacity” in poor countries. The worry is that...
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas Environmental issues Extractives, including oil and mines Latin American region
- Related companies: China Exim China International Water & Electric (CWE) China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) CNOOC (China National Offshore Oil Corporation) Sinopec
Author: International Rivers Network
The Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for the Merowe Dam in Sudan, the largest hydropower project currently under construction in Africa, is of poor quality and does not address many of the project’s potential impacts on the environment......
Three civilians were killed in violent clashes between Sudanese police and residents protesting the construction of a dam on the Nile river north of Khartoum, police said...Nine people, including four policemen, were also wounded in the clashes Friday...
- Related stories: Three killed in Sudan protest over Nile dam
- Related in-depth areas: African region Chinese investment overseas Construction, including dam-building Videos in other languages (Arabic, Chinese) Violence & Abuses
- Related companies: Alstom China International Water & Electric (CWE) Lahmeyer
[DOC] ABB statement regarding incident in which 3 civilians were killed during protests over Merowe dam, Sudan
ABB has met the Sudanese authorities and expressed concern about the reported violent incidents in the Amri School area in April. Taking note of the Sudanese government's intention to hold a formal inquiry into the incidents, ABB has called for a full...
[DOC] Response of China International Water & Electric Corp. (CWE) to concerns about shooting near Merowe Dam, Sudan
Author: Ding Zhengguo - Vice President, China International Water & Electric Corp. (CWE) & Project Director, CCMD Joint Venture, Merowe Dam Project
...[T]he Government of Sudan has assigned local security force to be responsible for the security of the Merowe Dam Project since commencement of the Project...Security personnel from professional security companies engaged by the contractors and...
Author: Engineers against poverty, International Alert
Contractors operating in unstable states face a range of conflict risks. Oil, gas and mining projects, which frequently have significant contractor involvement, can inadvertently trigger or sustain violence, or become the focus of resentment themselves...
Author: Dan Morrison, US News & World Report
China has invested an estimated $6 billion plus in Sudan's oil infrastructure... Africa's biggest ongoing dam project, the Merowe Dam, will soon provide 1,250 megawatts to [Sudan], courtesy of the Chinese International Water & Electric Corp....