Headquarters in Australia
Coles Group was an Australian public company that operated numerous retail chains.
Greenpeace’s 12-month long investigation exposes the activities of Thailand’s rogue overseas fishing fleets, the companies behind them and their supply chain connections to export markets…In the Saya de Malha Bank, the Thai distant water fleet...
- Related stories: Thailand: Greenpeace's investigation exposes severe labour rights abuses of rogue overseas fishing fleet in animal food export supply chain
- Related companies: Auchan Carrefour Coles Group Costco Kroger Nestlé Ocado Sainsbury's Tesco Waitrose (part of John Lewis Partnership) Walmart Woolworths Group
Author: Madeleine Hefferman, Sydney Morning Herald (Australia)
"Wesfarmers urges Aldi to sign tax code in 'corporate peer pressure'", 15 Aug 2016...
Australia's three major grocery retailers have admitted stocking seafood from a Thai company accused of using slave labour....
- Related stories: Thailand: Investigation finds enslaved migrants & children in shrimp processing factories supplying US & European markets
- Related companies: Aldi Süd Coles Group Woolworths Group
Australia: Members of govt. working group seek ways "to hold supermarkets to account" for reported labour abuses in supply chains
Author: Brynn O’Brien and Martijn Boersma, Supply Chains Working Group (Australia), in Guardian (UK)
"Cracking down on migrant workers isn't how to hold supermarkets to account", 5 May 2015...
Investigation reports slave-live conditions on Australia's farms supplying supermarkets & fastfood chains; companies respond
A Four Corners investigation has revealed labour exploitation, slave-like conditions and black market labour gangs on farms and in factories supplying Australia's biggest supermarkets and fast food chains. The report found that crime syndicates and...
Australia: Customer sues Coles Supermarkets over alleged disability discrimination re accessibility of website
Author: Rachel Browne, Sydney Morning Herald (Australia)
"Blind woman Gisele Mesnage sues Coles over online shopping website", 5 Nov 2014...
Institute for Global Labour & Human Rights report re alleged abuses at supplier factories in Bangladesh
Author: Compiled by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
On 8 March 2012, the Institute for Global Labour and Human Rights published a report…calling on major fashion brands to move immediately to stop beatings, imprisonment and firing of hundreds of workers at their supplier plants, Rosita Knitwears and...
Response by Coles Group: Institute for Global Labour & Human Rights calls on major fashion brands to stop beatings & imprisonment of workers in supply chain.
- Related in-depth areas: Institute for Global Labour & Human Rights report re alleged abuses at supplier factories in Bangladesh
- This is a response from the following companies: Coles Group Wesfarmers
Our Guilty Pleasure: Exploitative Child Labour in the Chocolate Industry – 10 Years on From the Harkin-Engel Cocoa Protocol
Author: World Vision Australia
Through the lens of World Vision Australia’s call for the elimination of the worst forms of child labour, including trafficked labour and fair prices for cocoa farmers...the report...examines global initiatives that have arisen in the last decade to...
- Related stories: World Vision Australia reports that child labour, trafficking persists in cocoa industry, recommends "sustainability levy", ethical certification of supply chains
- Related companies: Archer Daniels Midland Barry Callebaut Cadbury (part of Mondelēz International) Cargill Coles Group Ferrero Green & Black's (part of Cadbury) Hershey Kraft Foods (now Kraft Heinz) Mars Nestlé Unilever Wesfarmers Woolworths Group