Elf Aquitaine (now part of Total)
Member of UN Global Compact
In 2000 Elf Aquitaine merged with Total Fina to form TotalFinaElf, which changed its name to Total in 2003.
Author: UN Environment Programme (UNEP)
A major assessment of the impacts of oil production in the Ogoni region of the Niger Delta was jointly launched today by the Governor of Rivers State and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) in Bori, Nigeria. The assessment, which was...
- Related stories: Nigeria: UN Environment Programme launches assessment of oil-contaminated Ogoni region, paid for by Shell
- Related in-depth areas: Human rights impacts of oil pollution: Nigeria
- Related companies: AGIP (part of Eni) Elf Aquitaine (now part of Total) Eni Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) Shell Total
Author: Davidson Iriekpen, This Day [Nigeria]
Shell Petroleum Develop-ment Company (SPDC) and Elf Petroleum Nigeria Ltd have asked the ECOWAS Community Court of Justice in Abuja to dismiss a suit instituted against the oil companies by the Registered Trustees of the Socio-Economic Rights &...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: AGIP (part of Eni) Chevron ConocoPhillips Elf Aquitaine (now part of Total) Eni ExxonMobil Nigerian Agip Oil Company (NAOC) (joint venture Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, Eni, ConocoPhillips) Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) Shell Total
Author: OHCHR, IBLF, UN Global Compact & Castan Centre for Human Rights Law at Faculty of Law, Monash University [Australia]
Readers are guided through each of the rights contained in the UN treaties...and given a description of what each right means in general terms and how it may be relevant to a company’s activities...To bring reality to the report, each description of a...
- Related stories: Coca-Cola lawsuit (re Colombia) Freeport-McMoRan lawsuits (re West Papua) New practical human rights guide for business by UN Global Compact, IBLF, Castan Centre, OHCHR Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) Union Carbide/Dow lawsuit (re Bhopal) Yahoo! lawsuit (re China) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Arbitrary detention - an introduction Health - an introduction Killings - an introduction Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Abengoa adidas Aker Kvaerner Alcoa Alibaba.com AOL Barclays Bayer Bayer CropScience (part of Bayer) Bechtel Ben & Jerry's (part of Unilever) BHP Billiton BP British Airways British American Tobacco CACI CBRL Group Chevron Cisco Systems Coca-Cola Compania Internacional de Bebidas y Alimentos S.A. Cracker Barrel (part of CBRL Group) Credit Suisse Dow Chemical Elf Aquitaine (now part of Total) Emergent Genetics (part of Monsanto) Enron EY (Ernst & Young) Freeport Indonesia (part of Freeport-McMoRan) Freeport-McMoRan G4S GlaxoSmithKline Google (part of Alphabet) GSL Australia (now G4S Australia) HP (Hewlett-Packard) IBM IKEA James Hardie Johnson & Johnson KPMG Levi Strauss Marriott McDonald's Microsoft Monsanto (part of Bayer) Novartis Pentland Group Pfizer PricewaterhouseCoopers Shell Starbucks Titan (now L-3 Titan) Total Toyota TPG UBS Unilever Union Carbide (part of Dow) Unocal (part of Chevron) Walmart Walt Disney Yahoo! (part of Verizon)
Author: Commission of Nobel Laureates on Peace, Equity & Development in Niger Delta Region of Nigeria - signed by Elie Wiesel, J.M. Coetzee, José Ramos-Horta, Harold Pinter & 61 other Nobel Laureates
The Commission of Nobel Laureates on Peace, Equity and Development in the Niger Delta Region of Nigeria is an endeavour of the Elie Wiesel Foundation for Humanity (EWF)... The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that over 4,000 oil spills discharging...
- Related stories: Nigeria: 65 Nobel laureates call on oil companies to publish audits of revenues, invest more in community development, address environmental damage
- Related companies: AGIP (part of Eni) Chevron Elf Aquitaine (now part of Total) Eni ExxonMobil Mobil Oil (part of ExxonMobil) Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) Shell Texaco (part of Chevron) Total
Author: [commentary] Joan McAlpine, in Herald [UK]
It is estimated that 1000 people a year die as a result of the violence in Nigeria's brackish swamps... [But we] only seem interested when British oil workers...go missing or when the interests of huge companies are threatened. Shell, Chevron, Mobil ...
- Related stories: Nigeria: Estimated 1000 deaths/year from violence in oil-rich Niger Delta - pressure on oil firms to help resolve tensions (commentary in Herald [UK])
- Related companies: Chevron Elf Aquitaine (now part of Total) ExxonMobil Mobil Oil (part of ExxonMobil) Shell Texaco (part of Chevron) Total
Author: Rivers State Newspaper Corporation [Nigeria]
Rivers State lawmakers have expressed displeasure with some oil companies operating in the state over their alleged discriminatory attitude towards Rivers people…the state House of Assembly Speaker has constituted a five-man committee to investigate...
Author: Sopuruchi Onwuka, Daily Champion [Nigeria]
Oil companies that fail to meet the 2008 deadline on ending routine gas flaring would have their producing fields shut. Chairman, Senate Committee on Gas, Senator Rufus Inatimi Spiff, gave the warning at a gas seminar in Lagos yesterday, saying that...
Legal Remedies for the Resource Curse - A Digest of Experience in Using Law to Combat Natural Resource Corruption
Author: Open Society Justice Initiative
Legal Remedies for the Resource Curse is a digest of practical experience in using law to combat corruption across jurisdictions. When resource extraction companies can obtain oil, diamonds, gold, coltan, timber, and other natural resources through...
- Related stories: Cape/Gencor lawsuits (re So. Africa) Union Carbide/Dow lawsuit (re Bhopal) Unocal lawsuit (re Myanmar) Show moreShow less
- Related companies: Acres International Dow Chemical Elf Aquitaine (now part of Total) Halliburton HSBC KBR Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) PNC Financial Services Riggs Bank (now part of PNC Financial Services) Rougier Santander Shell Total Union Carbide (part of Dow)