Elf Aquitaine (now part of Total)
Member of UN Global Compact
In 2000 Elf Aquitaine merged with Total Fina to form TotalFinaElf, which changed its name to Total in 2003.
Author: Emma Amaize, Vanguard [Nigeria]
[Nigeria]:...the multinationals on one side and the oil communities on the other, told each other the naked truths; ranging from the divide and rule tactics of the multinationals and the fraudulent nature of some leaders of the oil communities who...
Author: David Leigh & David Pallister, Guardian [UK]
A new "scramble for Africa" is taking place among the world's big powers, who are tapping into the continent for its oil and diamonds...Simon Taylor, director of Global Witness...said: "Western companies and banks have colluded in stripping Africa's...
Legal Remedies for the Resource Curse - A Digest of Experience in Using Law to Combat Natural Resource Corruption
Author: Open Society Justice Initiative
Legal Remedies for the Resource Curse is a digest of practical experience in using law to combat corruption across jurisdictions. When resource extraction companies can obtain oil, diamonds, gold, coltan, timber, and other natural resources through...
- Related stories: Cape/Gencor lawsuits (re So. Africa) Union Carbide/Dow lawsuit (re Bhopal) Unocal lawsuit (re Myanmar) Show moreShow less
- Related companies: Acres International Dow Chemical Elf Aquitaine (now part of Total) Halliburton HSBC KBR Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) PNC Financial Services Riggs Bank (now part of PNC Financial Services) Rougier Santander Shell Total Union Carbide (part of Dow)
Author: Sopuruchi Onwuka, Daily Champion [Nigeria]
Oil companies that fail to meet the 2008 deadline on ending routine gas flaring would have their producing fields shut. Chairman, Senate Committee on Gas, Senator Rufus Inatimi Spiff, gave the warning at a gas seminar in Lagos yesterday, saying that...
Author: Rivers State Newspaper Corporation [Nigeria]
Rivers State lawmakers have expressed displeasure with some oil companies operating in the state over their alleged discriminatory attitude towards Rivers people…the state House of Assembly Speaker has constituted a five-man committee to investigate...
Author: [commentary] Joan McAlpine, in Herald [UK]
It is estimated that 1000 people a year die as a result of the violence in Nigeria's brackish swamps... [But we] only seem interested when British oil workers...go missing or when the interests of huge companies are threatened. Shell, Chevron, Mobil ...
- Related stories: Nigeria: Estimated 1000 deaths/year from violence in oil-rich Niger Delta - pressure on oil firms to help resolve tensions (commentary in Herald [UK])
- Related companies: Chevron Elf Aquitaine (now part of Total) ExxonMobil Mobil Oil (part of ExxonMobil) Shell Texaco (part of Chevron) Total
Author: Commission of Nobel Laureates on Peace, Equity & Development in Niger Delta Region of Nigeria - signed by Elie Wiesel, J.M. Coetzee, José Ramos-Horta, Harold Pinter & 61 other Nobel Laureates
The Commission of Nobel Laureates on Peace, Equity and Development in the Niger Delta Region of Nigeria is an endeavour of the Elie Wiesel Foundation for Humanity (EWF)... The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that over 4,000 oil spills discharging...
- Related stories: Nigeria: 65 Nobel laureates call on oil companies to publish audits of revenues, invest more in community development, address environmental damage
- Related companies: AGIP (part of Eni) Chevron Elf Aquitaine (now part of Total) Eni ExxonMobil Mobil Oil (part of ExxonMobil) Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) Shell Texaco (part of Chevron) Total