European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights files complaint against Lahmeyer executives over Sudan dam project's impact on social rights
All components of this story
Lahmeyer International has taken notice of the press release by ECCHR regarding the power plant project Merowe in Sudan and the accusations against LI's management and employees reported to the Frankfurt public prosecution office. LI fully rejects the accusations. The management has assured the public prosecution office of its full support to investigate the accusations and will cooperate closely with the investigating authority.
- Related stories: European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights files complaint against Lahmeyer executives over Sudan dam project's impact on social rights Lahmeyer lawsuit (re dam construction in northern Sudan) Lahmeyer under criminal investigation in Germany over involvement in dam in Sudan that allegedly displaced over 100,000 people Show moreShow less
- This is a response from the following companies: Lahmeyer
Author: Von Hannes Koch, Spiegel Online [Germany]
Die Vorwürfe klingen hart: Die deutsche Firma Lahmeyer soll dafür verantwortlich sein, dass beim Auffüllen eines Staudamms im Sudan Einwohner vom steigenden Wasser überrascht wurden. Deshalb haben Menschenrechtler nun Anzeige erstattet - das Unternehmen weist die Vorwürfe zurück.
Author: European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights
Lahmeyer International GmbH was instrumental in constructing the Merowe dam in Northern Sudan...[T]wo employees are charged with the flooding of over 30 villages, the displacement of over 4,700 families and the destruction of their livelihood...40,000 people have been affected by the construction of the dam and the associated resettlements...Lahmeyer began construction even though the resettlement plans had not been fully negotiated with the affected population...[They also] knew about the flooding potential of the dam...From the point of view of the ECCHR this case is symptomatic of the dangers for human rights resulting from big infrastructural projects.
- Related stories: European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights files complaint against Lahmeyer executives over Sudan dam project's impact on social rights
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News Right to food - an introduction
- Related companies: Lahmeyer