So. Africa: 34 killed & at least 78 injured after police open fire on striking workers at Lonminmine
compiled by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre, Aug 2012
Tanzania: Union welcomes agreement with Geita Gold Mine to allow trade union activities on its premises
Finnigan Wa Simbeye, allAfrica, 21 May 2012
FIDH: "Grasberg mine - PT Freeport Indonesia must respect workers’ rights"
International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), 8 Nov 2011
Indonesia: Global trade union delegation urges restraint from all parties in aftermath of violence at Freeport-McMoRan's Grasberg mine
Intl. Federation of Chemical, Energy, Mine and General Workers' Union (ICEM), 2 Nov 2011
Indonesia: Striking Freeport mine workers face death threats - includes company response
Setyo Budi, New Matilda (Australia), 19 Oct 2011
Police accused of killing 1 union activist & injuring others in shootings during protest at Freeport Indonesia in West Papua - includes company response
Asian Human Rights Commission, 13 Oct 2011
Summary profile of lawsuit against Drummond for alleged involvement in killings of trade unionists including various media reports
compiled by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre, Last updated 4 Feb 2011
Colombia: Union leader describes displacement, death threats & killings in struggle against mining companies
Saundra Satterlee, Guardian (UK), 25 Apr 2008
Guatemala: Trades unionists call for protection for bishop after death threats
George Conger, Religious Intelligence, 14 Apr 2008
- Bishop had been supporting landless peasants and indigenous peoples who had protested the issuance of mining permits to Goldcorp
Colombia: Glencore accused of dismissing workers trying to form a union as well as two reported attempts on life of trade unionist from Glencore-licensed mine – includes company response
compiled by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre, Aug 2007
Colombia: Union leader tells jury in war crimes trial that Drummond official made death threat
Russell Hubbard, Birmingham News (USA), 12 Jul 2007
Mining companies, Debswana (joint venture De Beers & Botswana Govt.) and BCL, violated ILO statutes when they sacked union members, says Botswana Federation of Trade Unions (BFTU)
Stryker Motlaloso, Mmegi (Botswana), 27 Oct 2005
Related stories and components
ZELA publishes mining & communities situational reports on impact of COVID-19 on Zimbabwean mining sector
The Zimbabwe Environmental Lawyers Association (‘ZELA’) has undertaken to track the real and potential impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on mining communities in Zimbabwe on a weekly basis. During the first week, March 21-28, ZELA conducted a quick...
Author: Mining Index (Zimbabwe)
‘A call to end myths that prohibit women from mining during their menstrual cycle – ZELA’ 11 March 2020...
Author: Radio Canada
"Minières canadiennes: les nouveaux conquistadors" - 28 fevrier de 2020...
- Related stories: Activistas exigen a Canadá imponer obligaciones en materia de derechos humanos y ambiente a mineras que operan en América Latina Actualización Semanal: Funcionarios de Canadá a juicio por apoyar a mina en México | Brasil: Defensores y campesinos asesinados | Otras noticias Canada : La société civile recommande la création d’un Ombudsman pour recevoir les plaintes et enquêter sur les allégations de violations des droits de l’homme à l’étranger par des entreprises canadiennes Canada : Le Gvt. crée un Ombudsman indépendant pour s'assurer du respect des droits de l'homme par les entreprises canadiennes opérant à l'étranger Canada: Embassy in Mexico accused of supporting mining company despite knowing of threats against environmental activist Colombia: Conflicto entre normas ambientales y de pueblos indígenas pone en riesgo integridad de comunidades frente a concesión a Cosigo Resources, dice abogado Le rôle de l'ambassade canadienne mis en cause en relation à l'assasinat d'un défenseur des droits de l'homme au Mexique en 2009 Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Dernières infos juridiques Exploitation minière Minéraux de conflits
- Related companies: Almaden Minerals Bear Creek Mining Blackfire Exploration Cosigo Resources Infinito Gold Pac Rim Cayman (part of Pacific Rim Mining) Prairie Provident (Lone Pine Resources)
So. Africa: The mining indaba should confront human rights violations in the mining sector, urges civil society
Author: Amnesty International
‘South Africa: Mining gathering must confront human rights violations’ 3 February 2020...
Author: Inversiones Los Pinares
"Comunicado", 29 de noviembre de 2019...
- Related stories: Honduras: Asesinan a dos defensores, opositores al proyecto minero Guapinol de empresa Inversiones los Pinares
- Related in-depth areas: Civil society participation Minería Recursos naturales Últimas noticias sobre defensoras/es
- Related companies: Empresa Minera Inversiones los Pinares
Australia: traditional land owners risk imprisonment as mining giant, Adani, obtains court order to stop protestors
Author: NITV News
"Adani obtains court order to prevent Traditional Owners entering mine site", 23 October 2019...
Civil society urges governments to broaden the definition of conflict diamonds under the Kimberley Process
Author: Kimberley Process Civil Society Coalition
"Modern day blood diamonds still flow and KP undermines efforts to stem them, claims new report", 26 September 2019....
Author: Henry Sanderson, Financial Times
"Congo, child labour and your electric car", 7 July 2019 ...
- Related stories: Amnesty International challenges the electric vehicle industry to produce batteries free of human rights abuses
- Related in-depth areas: Mining
- Related companies: BMW Glencore Huayou Cobalt Kajaran Copper-Molybdenum Plant (part of Zangezour Copper Molybdenum Combine) Trafigura Beheer Umicore
Earthworks releases report on the environmental and human impacts of rising mineral demand for renewable energy
Author: Earthworks, UTS ISF
"REPORT: Clean Energy Must Not Rely on Dirty Mining", 17 April 2019....
- Related stories: Over 50 organizations urge World Bank to prioritise human rights & environmental impacts in "climate-smart" mining
- Related in-depth areas: Automobile Climate change Climate justice Latest news on natural resources Mining Natural Resources
- Related companies: BMW Connected Energy First Solar Huayou Cobalt LG Chem Powervault Renault Samsung SDI (part of Samsung) Tesla Motors Vale
Sierra Leone: Communities affected by diamond mining win right to sue OCTÉA Group companies over alleged human rights abuses
Attorneys representing 83 households affected by Koidu Ltd's diamond mining activities filed proceedings to get the right to sue Octéa group companies over alleged human rights abuses, including displacement, property damage, soil and water...