full report: "Dirty Metals: Mining Communities and the Environment"
All components of this story
Author: Earthworks/Mineral Policy Center and Oxfam America
Earthworks/Mineral Policy Center and Oxfam America today announced the launch of "No Dirty Gold," a consumer campaign intended to shake up the gold industry and change the way gold is mined, bought and sold...Gold mining is being targeted as an industry ripe for reform through consumer pressure because of the extensively documented human and environmental costs of gold mining.
- Related stories: full report: "Dirty Metals: Mining Communities and the Environment"
Author: Earthworks and Oxfam America
...details the massive pollution, huge open pits, devastating community health effects, worker dangers and, in many cases, human rights abuses that have become hallmarks of gold and metals mining in countries such as Peru, Indonesia, Ghana and in parts of the United States. [refers to mining companies including Cambior, Placer Dome, Southern Peru Copper Corp, Newmont, BHP Billiton, Inco, Doe Run (part of Renco), Noranda, Manhattan Minerals, Meridian Gold, Barrick Gold, Rio Tinto, Cameco, Freeport-McMoRan, Ashanti Goldfields, Benguet, Glamis Gold, Orvana Minerals, Pegasus Gold, Ivanhoe Mines, Esmeralda Exploration, Western Mining]
- Related stories: BHP lawsuit (re Papua New Guinea) full report: "Dirty Metals: Mining Communities and the Environment"
- Related companies: Barrick Gold Benguet BHP Billiton Cambior Cameco Doe Run (part of Renco) Esmeralda Exploration Freeport-McMoRan Glamis Gold (part of Goldcorp) Grupo México Inco (part of Companhia Vale do Rio Doce) Ivanhoe Mines Manhattan Minerals Meridian Gold Newmont Noranda (part of Falconbridge) Placer Dome (part of Barrick Gold) Renco Rio Tinto Southern Copper (part of Grupo México) Western Mining
Freeport-McMoRan - 2003 Working Toward Sustainable Development Report: The Strength of Our Commitment
- Related stories: Contracts and communities Current issue of "Human Rights Dialogue" explores link between environmental problems & human rights abuses Freeport: still getting away with it full report: "Dirty Metals: Mining Communities and the Environment" Indonesians protest US-led destruction of protected forests New Internationalist article about BP in West Papua sample chapter: Moving Mountains - Chapter 4: Repressive Mining in West Papua Speech by plaintiff Tom Beanal The Amungme, Kamoro & Freeport [West Papua] West Papua Information Kit: "Mining" West Papua: New report criticises Freeport-McMoRan's conduct: Human rights abuses by Indonesian security forces funded by Freeport; environmental abuses Show moreShow less
- Related companies: Freeport Indonesia (part of Freeport-McMoRan) Freeport-McMoRan